looking for help understanding a pattern

Kim Haney Heather

Question

11 answers to this question

After your foundation row of 119 DC, you are repeating 4 rows until you get the length you want.  Then you end with a row of 119 DC.

Ch 3 (counts as first post stitch), turn, BPDC around next st, FPDC around next st (Row 1 of Cable Pattern 1 worked), working Row 1 of each pattern, work Cable Pattern 2 over next 11 sts, Cable Pattern 1 over next 3 sts, *Cable Pattern 3 over next 17 sts, Cable Pattern 1 over next 3 sts, Cable Pattern 2 over next 11 sts, Cable Pattern 1 over next 3 sts; rep from *

Can be written as...

Row 1: Ch 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1

Row 2: Ch 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1

Row 3: Ch 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1

Row 4: Ch 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1, Pattern 3, Pattern 1 , Pattern 2, Pattern 1

NOTE: the first Ch 3 counts as the first DC in Pattern 1.

If you need help reading a stitch diagram, try the Craftsy explanation at http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/11/making-sense-of-crochet-diagrams/

What a beautiful pattern.  I love working from from diagrams.  Easier to see where you are, especially like the way this one is written where you would be jumping all over the written pattern.

I would be tempted to take the little diagrams, 1 for each time they repeat across, and cut and paste them in the order that Redrosesdz laid out, and follow that--1 wide strip, 4 rows tall.  Maybe color code which is the back post and which is the front, I'm always forgetting which way the little 'hooks' go for front and back.   :P

I love this afghan. I made one for a gift. The diagrams help, but I remember I writing them all out for a friend who doesn't do diagrams well. Would love to see a photo when you're done. I wish I had photographed the one I did.

Thanks so much to everyone. I am very excited to make this but I am a busy mom and full time nurse so I am very slow, This kind of projects take me all winter to complete so a picture might be a LONG time off. I did complete the first row last night, had to rip out once as I wasnt doing pattern 2 correct and ended up with a lot of extra stitches at the end but then I remembered  the diagram and got it figured out. Started row 2 but needed some quiet time to figure out the cross stitch, I think I have it though Just need a few minutes of alone time with it.  The pattern itself doesnt seem as hard as I thought it was going to be. Thanks again for all the help.

Hi Aislinn!  Welcome to the ville :hook

what is the name and location of the pattern?  

shell in shell probably just means to make a shell in the top of the shell of the previous row.  But in case it means something else, it would be best to tell us where the pattern is so we can look at it.  Do be sure that you have read everything at the beginning and end of the pattern, where there may be notes about the pattern.  

(and to get the most views for your question it is usually best to start a new thread for a new question.)  

Archived