Crocheting with stripes - keeping the look the same

LaughingLasagna

Question

I hope I can explain this right, lol.

I am going to be crocheting my scarf and I did a test run. The problem was that when I did the stripes, one looked different (smaller and stitch was different) because of the turning my work around. I cannot do the left handed stitches, so that is out. 

I was wondering if there was a way to crochet the stripes so that they look the same when it is only two. For example, my stripes are as follows:

2 yellow

1 black

2 white

1 black

5 yellow

1 black

2 white

1 black 

2 yellow

My problem is that on the two rows, one of the rows looks fine, but since I turn my work around, the second row looks a tad smaller and the stitch looks a little different, especially when adding the black. I am not sure if there is a solution, like maybe front loop, back loop, or whatnot....but if there is, any help would be appreciated!

6 answers to this question

I don't know if this will help or not, but stitches have a skew.  Even rows all skew the same way.  Odd rows all skew the opposite way.

//////////

\\\\\\\\\\

//////////

\\\\\\\\\

So, if you want your black to fade into the background, pick the right side (usually it's the odd rows) and always do the black on the wrong side (even rows).

Row counts

3 yellow         1 2 3

1 black           4

3 white           5 6 7

1 black           8

5 yellow         9 10 11 12 13

1 black           14

3 white           15 16 17

1 black           18

3 yellow          19 20 21

Are you carrying the black from row to row? If you don't carry it up but instead cut it each time and add new yarn , then you can work in whichever direction you want.

I think working in one loop only could be effective, a swatch will show if it does what you want. You can also work into the "back bump" of the stitch so there is the whole top of the stitch showing on one side. Will try to find and post an illustration.  all i can find are shots of the back bump of a chain, but i think you can get the idea http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/getting_started3.html  the photos of the red yarn

You could also do surface crochet or embroidery stitch along the black to give it more of an edge.

Hm just realized i assumed you are using dc for all stripes...is that right or am i off base completely lol

Haha, yes -  it will be in DC! 

I didn't even think of cutting after each color and starting a new row with the new yarn so that I could go from right to left again. I would basically be starting in the chain 3 if I did it this way, correct? 

I will try both of your suggestions and let you know how I do, lol. THe rest of the scarf will be in the back loop only, but I just wanted the stripes to be straight and the same size! 

Thank you!!

Yes the ch3 stands in as the first dc of the row.   

just another trick for the toolbox is the standing stitch to start a row http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/  scroll down a few paragraphs

There is an alternative to working backwards, it's almost like a purl stitch in knitting. 

Go here

http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/

Scroll down a bit, there is a video called "A flat tapestry crochet tutorial".  It's actually two tutorials, the first involves crocheting left handed (I'm with you, I'm not very ambidextrous), but halfway thru the video she shows another tutorial where you are using your right hand, moving right to left as usual, but grabbing the yarn and pulling thru the stitch in a different way (from the front, not the back).  She is showing SC, but I assume it should work in DC as well.

Archived