help with pidoca wrap

tabindeh

Question

6 answers to this question

You might want to ask on Ravelry.  While there are most likely folks here that knit as well as crochet, this site is dedicated to crocheting.  So, you may or may not find someone that can help.  Your best bet is to ask in the comments section on the pattern.

Good luck!  I wish I could help, but I've never knitted.

Tabindeh, there are a couple of forums here for knitting; from the main forums page, scroll down almost to the bottom and you will see Knitting.   But I agree with RedRoses that you would likely get more response on Ravelry.

However, my honest advice would be to practice more and work more patterns to build your knitting and pattern-reading skills, and then tackle this pattern. it looks pretty complicated and there are notes on the pattern page about adjustments to the pattern that need to be made.  Have you read throough the whole pattern?  Do you understand everything after the first round?  If not, the whole thing will be a struggle.  

in my signature below there is a link to a thread about choosing and using crochet patterns, most of which applies to knitting as well.  I think the various posters' thoughts there would be helpful for you. 

Wow, pretty pattern.  There is a knitting sub group on Crochetville here, too -- if you go to the main page, it's the second section from the bottom.

I do knit, I consider myself an advance beginner maybe, but I went 'eek!' when I saw the pattern you linked.  I would not attempt it.

The pattern is an extrapolation of a vintage doily pattern from 1911.  The doily is charted and written, but in an abbreviated manner (expecting the knitter to...not be a beginner--in 1911, patterns didn't 'spell out' everything.)  The chart shows a pie shape, starting with 1 knit stitch; the written instructions tell you to cast on 8 stitches distributed on DPNs, but does not tell you to join - it assumes you know that.  So, it begins in the round on 8 stitches on DPNs.

This answers your 'how does it become round' question, but I really don't recommend this if you aren't comfortable with the basic stitches in the doily, and with knitting lace.  Plus, this will get way more complicated when you start turning the doily into a jacket.  Knitting, especially lace, is REALLY hard to fix if you make a mistake (compared to crochet).  I'm going to see if I can find a similar pattern in a child's size in crochet for you.

edit...Hi Magic! slow typing again.

Thank you every one who responded. Yes you are right, I need to first practice the basic knitting  before I even try to attempt this pattern, but it is just too beautiful to pass up. Thank you Granny square, I will definitely look into your link.

Archived