Crochet Bunny

bmalred

Well it turns out I am struggling very badly on this pattern. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

When I try to work on the body head and ears of this pattern I do not get the correct amount of stitches.

Any help would be appreciated... Pattern link is below.

http://com.yarnspirations.pattern-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/One+Skein+Bunny+_+Yarn+_+Free+Knitting+Patterns+_+Crochet+Patterns+_+Yarnspirations.pdf

Here are 2 things that I do to keep track of the counts...

1. When I get patterns that say "continue as established" for several rounds/rows I write them out, otherwise I get confused.  If you have a spreadsheet, like Excel, it helps.  Below is an example.  Replace the ... with the actual stitches. 

Rnd 1: sc, sc, ... sc              6

Rnd 2: 2sc ... 2sc               12

Rnd 3: sc, 2sc, ... sc, 2sc   18

2. Cut a long piece of yarn that is contrasting and easy to see.  Place it in the first stitch of rnd 1 and carry it to each first stitch in the subsequent rounds.  It is a guide yarn.  And will show you where each round starts.  When you're done, pull it out.

Most important is count each round as you finish it.  If it doesn't match your spreadsheet, pull it out and redo it.

Good advice on marking the beginning of the row when you are working on continuous rounds, a marker is the only way to keep track. 

I read the head and ear directions, the instructions do 'add up'--I didn't spot any errors.

Sometimes (and this happened to me, to, as a beginner), when the instructions say "do something every third round", there is a question of whether how to count the three rounds:

Wrong:  make 3 plain rounds, do something round, repeat

Right:  plain round 1, plain round 2, do something round, repeat

I have tried writing the pattern out and I use a stitch marker.

When it says on the body to continue as established so I just repeat rnd4?

And on the ears when it says to continue as established do I repeat just rnd4 as well?

The established pattern is an increase 6 times each round.  So, in rnd 4 you do 2 sc between each increase. Rnd 5 it's 3 sc between each increase and so on.  For the body you increase like that every round.  For the ears you alternate between a rnd of sc and a rnd of increases.

Rnd 5: 2 sc, sc, sc, sc, 2 sc, sc, sc, sc etc.

Rnd 6: 2 sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2 sc, sc, sc, sc, sc etc.

This is why I suggest writing out every round to make sure that your counts on paper match the counts in the pattern.

Also, a stitch marker is a pain to use when doing increasing rounds.  Try the contrasting yarn that you take out at the end.  It's much easier.

Archived