Ruffling issue

Jayashiangel

Question

Basically I am making a shrug pattern that I have been using over the last few weeks to make several of these shrugs & I am using the same type of yarn to prevent ruffling...But Now I got ruffling..Basically I have a chain of say 150 stitches then I must single crochet across then do chain 3 and 2 dc in same stitch then skip 2 and do a shell of 2 DC chain 1 2 Dc across never have I had ruffling w/ Hobby Lobby I love this yarn that is why I used it since Red Heart and Other brands have caused this issue...

Things I have tried K hook to start the chain and the single crochet row then downed to J to do the shell rows I have done 5 rows and still ruffling and bowing. I have tried it w/ J starting and I for the rows etc down to H hook for the rows and still same issue

Help any ideas as this yarn was in my stash and my budget right now doesn't afford me to get any extra yarn for this project Thanks?

2 answers to this question

Ruffling is caused when there are either too many stitches added or when some rows are tighter and other rows are looser.  It can happen with most acrylic yarns.  It's less obvious with plant and animal fibers, but it can happen with them, too.

If it's happening at the beginning, then it may be the chain.  Have you tried using a foundation sc to start, instead of the chain?  It prevents a too tight foundation row and makes the entire fabric more even.  There are video tutorials that show how it's done.  I am not sure which video is best, because I paid for the lesson on how to do any kind of chainless foundation at Craftsy (Marty Miller's Mastering Foundation Crochet Stitching.)

Here's the written explanation for it....

Start by practicing the extended sc, since it's the same thing.  Create any swatch at least 10 stitches wide and 2 rows high. Chain 1 & turn.  Practice the following steps until they feel natural to you.

1. Insert your hook, just like you're doing an sc, and draw through the loop (2 loops on hook.)

2. YO and draw through the first loop, making a chain with the first loop (2 loops on hook.)

3. YO and draw through both loops, making an sc (1 loop on hook.)

Foundation SC (fsc).  Start with a ch-2 (1 for the first ch and 1 for the sc height.)  The first stitch is in the first ch.  All other stitches are in the previous ch.

1. Insert your hook, just like you're doing an sc, and draw through the loop (2 loops on hook.)

2. YO and draw through the first loop, making a chain with the first loop (2 loops on hook.)

3. YO and draw through both loops, making an sc (1 loop on hook.)

Hint: With your yarn guide hand (left hand, if you're crochet hook is in the right), pinch the ch in step 2 with your thumb and fore finger.  Hold onto it while you complete the sc.  Pinching makes it easier to see where the chain is for the next fsc

The bottom will be a set of V's, instead of bumps.  If you're right-handed, the bottom is on the left and the top is on the right.

One other benefit is that it is easy to count.  You'll never have to deal with a chain that is too long, too short, too tight or too loose ever again.

As Redrosedz said, foundation chains can be tight and foundation stitches tend to be looser/stretchier so are a good idea.

However, I think there's another problem...

For the shell/V-stitch that you are making, you should be skipping 3 stitches, not 2 between the shells.  If you think about it, (not counting the chain in the middle), you should be putting the same number of DC as there are chains across the row to avoid ruffling.  So, the chain you are putting the V-stitch into, plus the next 3 chains = 4 chains, which = the 4 DC stitches in the V-stitch.

Iris Stitch

http://www.ouicrochet.com/2015/05/iris-stitch-crochet-stitch-tutorial.html

even better, this has a stitch diagram

https://books.google.com/books?id=Fya8u4s9Lt4C&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=iris+stitch+crochet&source=bl&ots=3zAGtBoM-4&sig=-WLHW3rjg-nb4WQUP48I-mKs0Qc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEUQ6AEwCWoVChMIv_-kkJvRxwIVxzI-Ch3aRg5S#v=onepage&q=iris%20stitch%20crochet&f=false

Archived