Where to put stitch?

Ther

Question

Hello!

I have got a general crocheting question and want to use this pattern as example: 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/seems-like-old-times

I'm confused on where to put the stitch...

Let's take Row 5 as example, there it says:

Row 5 (SHELL ROW on RS): Ch6, turn. Work 2 dcs in 1st ch-sp, shell in each V to center, (shell, ch1, shell) in center, shell in each V to tch, (2 dcs, ch3, dc) in tch. (10 shells, 2 half shells)

And this part especially: shell in each V to center

In the picture, you can see that the shell stitch is attached to every first and then every third chain stitch, right? But I'm wondering if it's not meant that way and I'm just meant to put my shell stitch in the big space of the chain 3 spaces of the previous V-Stitch.

Do you get my question? It might be complicated but I really would like to know. If you don't understand, please just ask back!

Thanks very much!

Ther

9 answers to this question

This is a pretty pattern!

The words are telling you to work the shells OVER the chain.  I guess at times it's hard to depict them that way on the diagram without it seeming to appear that the shells are made into a particular chain.  For this sort of lace, where you are making stitches OVER the chain, and not INTO a chain -  sometimes if you choose to make it into 1 chain, the pattern might 'pull' from stitches before or after it and the fabric won't look as nice.  If you make it over the chain, the stitches can adjust to look better.

The "shell in each V" is meaning the chain-3 space between the DCs in row 4 (so it is referring to a V stitch as being DC, ch-3, DC).

By the way, welcome to the 'ville!  Just to let you know that according to the forum rules, it's OK to post the words of a couple of lines of a pattern, but not OK to post a diagram due to copyright laws - the forum leaders could get into trouble.  You should edit your post to remove the diagram.  In this case since it is a free pattern, your link to the pattern (which is OK) would be enough to guide us to the diagram.

Thank you for your help! Since English is not my native language, I have some trouble understanding the patterns sometimes... But now I'm certain.

I'm sorry. I didn't wanna cause any trouble. I already removed the picture from the post.

I have another general question as well if you don't mind: When you begin a new row in a work, it mostly says, like in this pattern: "Chain 6 (count as dc and ch3)". I'm asking because I was always wondering why I simply can't do a dc and ch3 from the very beginning but have to use a substitute, apparently to help myself.

Could somebody explain that or post an article where I can read about it?

Thanks in advance!

Ther

When you are just beginning a row, you need to bring the yarn 'up' to the height of the next row. There are other ways to do this, but making a chain is the most common. I will come back later with links (I don't know how to link on my tablet, sorry)

Personally, for a turning chain for US double crochet I turn, single crochet, chain 1. It looks a little thicker/better than a chain.

Personally, for a turning chain for US double crochet I turn, single crochet, chain 1. It looks a little thicker/better than a chain.

What a great idea, Granny Square!  I usually make an "air dc", but I think I'll try this method!  Thanks!

I have another general question as well if you don't mind: When you begin a new row in a work, it mostly says, like in this pattern: "Chain 6 (count as dc and ch3)". I'm asking because I was always wondering why I simply can't do a dc and ch3 from the very beginning but have to use a substitute, apparently to help myself.

You can start a row with a dc (or any other stitch, I think) if you are starting with a new piece of yarn.  this is called a "standing" stitch.  here is a tutorial , scroll down to where it says standing double crochet http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/   For me, this works great and i think it looks much better than doing a slip stitch to join the yarn to the previous row and then chaining.

If you are continuing from the previous row with the same yarn, you can start a new row with a "chainless" stitch that a Ravelry user has developed and posted, see links here http://www.ravelry.com/projects/TXCr1cket/chainless-starting-dc-stitch---updated

This also works well for me.

GrannySquare, my apologies  if I have posted a link that you were planning to post.  

You can start a row with a dc (or any other stitch, I think) if you are starting with a new piece of yarn.  this is called a "standing" stitch.  here is a tutorial , scroll down to where it says standing double crochet http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/   For me, this works great and i think it looks much better than doing a slip stitch to join the yarn to the previous row and then chaining.

magiccrochetfan--THAT'S what I meant to call the stitch that I mistakenly called "air dc"!!  Duh  :reyes Glad to have the name of it, now!  Thanks!

Magic, those were the very 2 techniques that I was going to look up & post but no need to apologize, I had to run away from my computer for a few hours--thanks! 

I've tried the 'air dc' on a couple of projects, it looks really nice but a bit fiddly and so I went back to my old SC,CH 1.  It's easy and no gap like the CH-3.

Archived