Pattern help - Shawl

Ther

Question

Hello lovely crochet people!  :hi  

I started crocheting just last year so I'm still quite new to it.

This time I want to make a shawl (which I've never tried before) and I need some help on reading a pattern... You can find it here: http://www.craftown.com/crochet/pat51.htm?page_number=2

In fact, I have trouble with the very first step:

Instructions for Shawl: 

Row 1; Beginning at center back top edge, ch 7; dc in 7th ch from hook, (ch 3, dc in same ch) 4 times - 5 sps. Ch 5, turn.

Can someone please translate that for me? (Before I make a wild guess, I'd like someone to explain it in detail to me.)

That'd be very kind!

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Regards,

Ther

4 answers to this question

They mean you are going to work each side from the center of the shawl.  So you chain 7, then make 1 double crochet in the first chain you made.  Then you chain 3, then make a dc in the same place.  Repeat the part in the parentheses 4 times.  that will make 5 spaces.  Then you chain 5, turn.

Hi Ther, welcome to the ville!

I just want to share with you some thoughts.  I often find it much easier to follow a pattern that has a diagram of symbols showing the construction, how the stitches fit together to make the object.  here is an explanation of diagrammed patterns  https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=708&type_id=S&scat_id=3    I like these because  I prefer to have visual info, so I can easily see and understand how the item is made.

If you are not feeling confident about reading this pattern, the photo is so small that it is not much help.  So you might consider using a pattern that has a diagram  such as Yes Yes Shawl http://www.yarnspirations.com/yes-yes-shawl.html      This kind of triangular shawl has the lace pattern, and there are increases at the top edge (the beginning edge) and down the "spine" of the shawl, which work together to make the triangle shape.     Some patterns don't have symbol diagrams, but they are photo or video tutorials so that is another way to have the visual info presented.  

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, diagrams are great.  And the shawl that she chose is super easy (looking at the diagram) but looks complicated, which is nice!

Aso, if you look at the diagram of the Yes Yes shawl, it might help you visualize what your original pattern is telling you.  Both shawls start out at the center of the long side (the spot that would be at the back of your neck if you wore it the traditional way).  The first row is more or less a half circle - or half square might be more accurate, because the middle of the row forms a point.  Your original pattern forms 5 spaces in the first round, so the middle space will be the center.

Have you ever made a hat, starting with a circle?  It's sort of like stopping half way around the circle and turning around (except the stitch pattern for the shawl forms a pyramid not a half circle).  And just like making a circle, you can make many stitches into 1 stitch - in your pattern, the chain 7, DC in 7th chain from hook becomes the first DC, chain 3, and the next DC.  All of the following Ch-3, DC are made into that very same chain the first DC was made into.

Also, are you familiar with crochet punctuation (like the parentheses here)?  Here's a site that might help--scroll down to 'parentheses, asterisks and brackets'.

edit - this is what the first row of your shawl should look like

post-13625-0-15642400-1437345084_thumb.jpg

Hello and thank you for replying so quickly!

I've been thinking about what you said... I think you might be right. I will see if I can do it, otherwise I'll take another pattern.

Thanks for your suggestions and help! I guess I'll come back again soon.  :lol

Ther

Archived