Help reading a pattern

pyjamas

Question

Hi so Im making a little toy that requires wings and I'm not sure I understand the pattern. Here is how it is written;

Row 1: ch10
Row 2: sc in 2nd ch from the hook, 8sc, turn
Row 3: ss into 2nd sc, 6sc, inc, ch1, turn
Row 4: inc, 6sc, ss, turn
Row 5: skip ss, ss into 1st sc, 6sc, inc, ch1, turn
Row 6: inc, 7sc, ch2, turn
Row 7: 9sc, inc, ch1, turn
Row 8: 11sc, ch2, turn
Row 9: 11sc, inc, ch1, turn
Row 10: 12sc, ss, turn
Row 11: ss into 1st sc, 10sc, inc, ch1, turn
Row 12: 11sc, ss, turn
Row 13: ss into 1st sc, 9sc, inc, ch1, turn
Row 14: 11sc, ch2 turn
Row 15: 11sc, inc, ch1, turn
Row 16: 13sc, ch2, turn
Row 17: 14sc, ch1, turn
Row 18: 13sc, ss, turn
Row 19: ss into 1st sc, 12sc, ch1, turn
Row 20: 11sc, ss, turn
Row 21: ss into 1st sc, 10sc, turn
Row 22: ss into 2nd sc, 7sc, ss, turn

I'm not sure I understand the slip stitch at the beginning/end of the rows and also what it means by skipping the ss. Any help greatly appreciated :D xx

6 answers to this question

A slip stitch is primarily used to move from one stitch to another one so that the next stitch is at the proper place or it is used to join two stitches together, like at the end of a round.  Skipping any stitch means to crochet into the stitch after the one you're skipping.  Skipping over slip stitches is common, because they don't count as stitches.

To do a slip stitch, insert your hook where specified and draw the yarn through both where you inserted and the loop on your hook.  So, on Row 3, you would insert your hook into the second sc and draw through the sc's top loops and the loop on your hook.  You are now at the 3rd sc with one loop on your hook. 

Row 2: sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc (8 single crochets)

Row 3: ss, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2 sc, ch (8 single crochets, offset 1 stitch from the previous row)

Thanks that does make so much more sense and its so straight forward lol. Need to do the rest of the body parts before starting on the wings but just wanted an understanding was considering using felt but will definately give it a go now.

Re-looking at it could I also ask what you need to do when the pattern says to turn but there is no chain stitch? Is as straightforward as it sounds or is there something else I need to do? :S

A turning chain is to bring your work up to the height of the next stitch (normally, if you're working a straight sided thing).  

But if you are shaping wings, and the next row is meant to be slanted inward, you don't want the edge to be raised up like you were working a straight (vertical) edge.  By not creating the turning chain, the shaping will be smoother.  With a turning chain, it would be more like a stair step, not a nice smooth \ shape.

I hope that makes sense.  

Archived