1940's snood help

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

Fist off, I have just noticed that my last link in my last post was removed. I don't understand why that website isn't allowed, but, that's fine, I didn't know and do apologize. 

Secondly, I am doing a snood I found, a perky snood

-> http://www.***********.com/crochet/persno.html

and I am confused about the decreasing that starts at 17...or is it 16...either way, it says to decrease, which is fine but, after row 18, it says to decrease on both sides like in the last row...but it only tells you how to decrease at the end of the row, not the beginning and end. So I'm wondering just how to read this pattern here lol.

any help is greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I think you decrease the same way at the end of the row; decreasing at the end you work the pattern until there are 2 meshes left, you turn those 2 meshes into 1.  I think the only difference decreasing at the beginning would be (after making the decrease over the first and second long trebles): instead of "ch-5, turn" , you would ch-4 and continue with the pattern.  Does that work?

I think you decrease the same way at the end of the row; decreasing at the end you work the pattern until there are 2 meshes left, you turn those 2 meshes into 1.  I think the only difference decreasing at the beginning would be (after making the decrease over the first and second long trebles): instead of "ch-5, turn" , you would ch-4 and continue with the pattern.  Does that work?

Hmm...I'm not sure...wait...unless....unless the chain 5 over the two you brought together counts as the decrease at the beginning...I don't know though...I will give it a try...I just don't know how a decrease at the beginning...if my calculator is correct, by row 18 I should have 19 meshes 

because at 16 you have 23, then at the end of row 17 you would have 21, then at row 18 you would have 19 right...X.X I'm so confused...because after row 18 it says to decrease on either side like in row 18 but row 18 doesn't tell you how to decrease in the beginning.......and I'm talking in circle XD LOL!!! oh geeze. I will try what you said, and I will try the other theory I got, though thank you, because you did spark it lol. 

OK, I tried a sample. Forget what I said above, sorry for the confusion.

Row 17 is decreasing at both ends, because the turning chain is 5 not 9, and you are making the first long treble(LTR) in the second LTR of the row below.  

So, the first shape is a triangle pointing toward the center, not a square as before .

Then at the end, you are making a LTR decrease (LTR 2 together), which is mirroring the chain-5 versus chain 9 at the beginning, creating another triangle pointing toward the center.  So row 17 decreases by 2 squares ( don't count the triangles). 

This would have looked better blocked because the first row corners look like triangles but are really squares, but here is 1 'normal' sample row, and then row 17, and a sketch of 18...

post-13625-0-07144800-1431966610_thumb.jpg

OK, I tried a sample. Forget what I said above, sorry for the confusion.

Row 17 is decreasing at both ends, because the turning chain is 5 not 9, and you are making the first long treble(LTR) in the second LTR of the row below.  

So, the first shape is a triangle pointing toward the center, not a square as before .

Then at the end, you are making a LTR decrease (LTR 2 together), which is mirroring the chain-5 versus chain 9 at the beginning, creating another triangle pointing toward the center.  So row 17 decreases by 2 squares ( don't count the triangles). 

This would have looked better blocked because the first row corners look like triangles but are really squares, but here is 1 'normal' sample row, and then row 17, and a sketch of 18...

blocked or not, I see what you are saying now! HAVE ALL THE INTERNET!!!! You are my hero!!!! If I could shower you in gifts right now, I totally would!!!! thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!! 

:yay:hug  :manyheart  :nworthy   :ty  :cake  :cheer  :rose   :rainbow     :jumpyay   

Archived