Pattern help

ancamirela

Question

Hello everyone

I'm working on a top (Avalon top, maybe you know it) and I got stuck  on round 2.

I would be forever grateful if you could tell me what I'm supposed to do.

This is how the pattern looks like:

First Motif

1. Ch 7; join with slip st in first ch to form a ring.
2. Round 1: Ch 1, work 21 sc in ring; join with slip st in first sc.
Arm 1
1. Row 1: Ch 8, place marker in first ch from hook.
2. Row 2 (RS): Work 16 sc over the ch‐8 just made, sk first sc of ring, slip st in next sc, turn.

How do I work sc over a chain that ends nowhere.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm relatively new at this.
Thank you

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I've never done the top or heard the term "work over the chain" before, so I looked it up.  Here's my interpretation ...

You have a ring of 21 sc's and a ch-8 sticking out from the ring.  Place your hook under the chain and draw up a loop, yo and pull through the 2 loops, repeat 15 times.  You should be back at the ring when you're done.

To work over the chain means to place your hook under the chain, instead of in the top loops and make a stitch.  So, you're treating that ch-8 like it was a ring.  Just like working into a ring, you can make multiple stitches.

(It's doesn't sound like it's easy to do!)

There is a symbol diagram at the bottom of the pattern that shows visually how these motifs are made, that may help you.

I agree with Granny and Redroses, this is a pretty involved pattern.

Oh, I didn't scroll down far enough to see the stitch diagram, that does helps a bunch!  But it is not a beginner pattern, and the OP said she was new at crochet  --  I just hope this pattern doesn't discourage her.  It will definitely be a learning experience!

Oh, I didn't scroll down far enough to see the stitch diagram, that does helps a bunch!  But it is not a beginner pattern, and the OP said she was new at crochet  --  I just hope this pattern doesn't discourage her.  It will definitely be a learning experience!

Caron, or Yarnspirations or whatever they are now, has added diagrams to some of their patterns which of course I am very glad about  ;)  so I was really hoping this pattern had diagram(s) so I was scrolling, scrolling, thru the long written part ....and finally there it was!   :yay

Yay, glad you made it through the motifs (the body of the sweater looks easier at least!).  

I think finding an easier stitch pattern with a diagram would be easier to learn diagrams, actually.  I like them because they are intuitive (the diagrams look like the stitches), and they clear up questions, ambiguities (and errors!) in written instructions.  Plus, if you find a pattern that is diagrammed, with written instructions not in English, you can just follow the diagram.

Archived