need help on tabletop

elephanty

Question

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to thread crochet:think... i had started a tabletop with a size 10 thread and a 1.75mm hook(I'm giving the size in mm as i'm in India and the US numbers don't match with the numbers here)... the problem is - as i proceed with the 5th row-the tabletop begins to ruffle ...it doesn't come out flat...:( maybe the problem's with my thread... but if i can adjust with the hook... can anyone suggest what size hook i should try...

It's happening with most of the projects i try with thread... and that takes away my interest at times ...

someone pls help...

elep

7 answers to this question

I wouldn't worry about ruffling as long as it wasn't really really ruffly. After you finish a thread project, it is recommended to block the item. This will take care of the ruffling. I just finished a doily and it was wavy but after I blocked it it lays completely flat. It also looks better. Hope this helps.

The 1.75mm hook is comparable to the #4 in US hooks. That sounds a little large for #10 thread to me (at least it's large for what I usually use). I usually use a #7 or #8 in US hooks with this size thread, which would equate to a 1.25 or 1.50 in mm. Hope this helps.

thanks a lot for the hook size. Next time i'll try with a 1.25mm hook and a size10 thread...

i also checked for the links on blocking but they weren't opening...

can you tell me some other links please?

elep

hi monael, i started another tabletop ... i got the idea now ;) ...the piece lies flat when i pin it all over and stretch a little bit ...i didn't block it yet (of course i'll do it when its finished) and i'm using a 1.25 hook and a size 20 hook. hope i'll have the patience until it finishes(or the tabletop will turn out to be a doily !!:D )

thanks a lot!!

elep

Archived