Sunshine dishcloth

greyhoundgrandma

Question

I just made Drew Emborsky's sunshine dishcloth:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunshine-dishcloth

I ended up with 15 "points" instead of 16. All of the pictures on ravelry have 16, so I must be missing something obvious?

Rnd 5 ends with a stitch count of 60 sc. Everything is fine to this point.

Rnd 6 has this repeat: skip 1 st, sc in next st, skip 1 st, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next st.

That's a repeat worked into 4 stitches and 4 into 60 is 15 not 16. Am I crazy or what?

3 answers to this question

I just did this thru round 5, and am counting 64 SC, not 60.

Each corner has 4 SC; other chains and DCs each have 1 SC per stitch.  If you count the SCs in each side from mid corner to mid corner:

2 in second half of first corner space

2 in second set of DC in corner

2 in chain space

1 in DC

2 in chain space

1 in DC 

2 in chain space

2 in first set of DC in next corner

2 in first half of next corner space

===

So there are 16 stitches on each side, 16 x 4 = 64.  The pattern's stitch count is in error (so good news, you're not crazy!).

One thing I noticed is, because there were 4 SC crammed over 2 chains in each corner, I had to sort of shove them aside to make a stitch into the next DC.  Is it possible you didn't notice that they were sort of covering the first DC, and missed that stitch each corner?  That would cause you to be 4 short, but I'm sure it looked fine with 15 points  :)  

Thanks so much--the problem is the corners. My pattern says 3 sc in each corner space. I have changed it for next time. It looks fine with 15 and lies flat, but will just be more symmetrical with 16.

Thanks again for taking the time to look it up! It was driving me crazy especially when all the photos on ravelry had 16 so it had to be me messing up.

Happy to help - this is where I got the pattern from (scroll way down), there were a couple of links on the Rav page.

http://thecrochetdudepatterns.blogspot.com/

Maybe they corrected the pattern directions after you downloaded it but forgot to fix the stitch count at the end of that round.  (looks like it was posted 10 years ago).

Archived