pattern question

starfloater

Question

Hi there,

I am trying to make a baby blanket and the the second row states:

Row 2:

Ch 3, dc in first dc, * ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2 **, 3 dc in next ch‐1 space;
repeat from * to last 2 sts, end at **; skip next ch, 2 dc in next ch; turn.

Two questions:

1) The first row told me to dc in last ch, which I did and then I turned my work. So, am I doing the dc in the first dc(meaning the one I just turned with and my hook is in) or am I going to the next one?

2) it says repeat from * to last 2 sts, end at **. So, I am doing [ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2] until i get to the last 2 stitches? or does my repeat include " * ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2 **, 3 dc in next ch‐1 space"?

6 answers to this question

The way I read it, here is your pattern ....

2 dc (including the ch3), ch 2, skip 2, sc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, skip 2, sc, ch 2, 3 dc .... ch 2, skip 2, sc, ch 2, skip 1, 2 dc

All of the dc stitches are done in one stitch, so the first dc after the turning ch 3, would be in the same stitch.

I hope this helps and good luck!  :)

Thanks, Rose! So, just to make sure, I am including the "**, 3 dc in next ch‐1 space "  even though it states end at **, it actually means include the ** when repeating.

Yes!  You're repeating from * to * until you get to the end.  The stop at ** means that those are the last stitches before the end.  So, you end at a ch 2, skip 1, 2 dc. 

If the "end at **" wasn't in the instructions, then it would be ch 2, 3 dc, skip 1, 2 dc at the end.  They don't want you to do that last 3 dc cluster.

They didn't make the pattern very clear, in my opinion.  I would have written it differently, but everyone has their shortcuts for patterns.  I would have written it as ...

Row 2:

Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in the same stitch, ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, * 3 dc in next ch‐1 space, ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2; repeat from * to last 2 sts; skip next ch, 2 dc in next ch; turn. (# scs, # dc clusters, # ch 2)

Where, # is the count.

The ** is standard pattern notation.  It's basically a place marker, usually within a repeat, which is ignored until you reach the spot in the pattern indicated.

See here (under parentheses, asterisks & brackets, where it says 'don't throw your hands up in horror' ;)  )

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Archived