stringy poncho help

Welcome to the ville!

You sew the short side of one rectangle to the long edge of the other rectangle. Here are a couple of patterns that have schematics to illustrate. http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/peacenik-poncho.html

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/ccw-ponchette.html

Thanks for the reply...im attaching my pattern because it seems different from the way to attach that i see in that information.   Not sure about the part of the 14" - does that mean i leave the point hanging..... 

It says:

With right side facing, lay rectangles on flat surface. Label each rectangles top, bottom, left, right sides.  Sew last row of first rectangle to first 14" on left side of 2nd rectangle.  Sew last row of second rectangle to first 14" on left side of first rectangle......

feel like i am in algebra class!!

You are overthinking it. Your pattern is the same construction as the ones i linked. Did those schematics make sense to you? If so, just follow that. Or at least give them a try, i think it will make sense if you actually lay it out as shown in the schematics, more than just thinking about it.

I agree, a picture is worth 1000 words.  Attach the 2 rectangles as shown in the schematic, at the top, so you have a L or V shape--by sewing a short end of 1 rectangle (#2 in schematic) to an edge of the long side of the other triangle (#1 in schematic). 

Then, fold at the shoulders and do the opposite - sew a short end of rectangle #1 to the edge of the long side of the other triangle (#2).

The first step is straightforward, I think the folding and the second step may be harder to envision as it's 3 dimensional.  After sewing that first seam, throw the poncho over your shoulders, with that seam in the back (sort of like wearing a shawl), then I think the second seam position will be more obvious.

Another way to think of this, is that 1 rectangle will end up making the point in the center front, the other rectangle will end up as the point in the center back.

Archived