I need help - After I chain the loops face the opposite way.

pamesu

Question

I have cognitive issues so please bear with me:   I haven't crocheted in years and have only made afghans and hats.  MY PROBLEM:  How do I get the loops to FACE me so I can see where to aim the hook?  Whatever I'm doing, it's causing the loops to show up on the BACK side so I can't see them.  I am guessing I'm doing some real basic thing incorrectly. The project I want to make is too large to keep having to turn the piece back and forth so I can aim through the two loops and I don't like 'guessing' by pushing the hook through from my side without being able to actually SEE the two loops I want to go under.  Is my memory faulty (now there's a loaded question!) or isn't there a way to have the loops FACING ME so I can easily see where to stick my hook?  Seems I remember moving right along when I made afghans - no turning the piece back to see the loops which really slows me down and feels very awkward.  If I turn the piece over I see exactly what I want to see - the v-shaped loops looking right at me but I'm working on the opposite side?   Don't be afraid to tell me like it is - maybe my memory is faulty (ha!)  I've tried and tried to work the chain differently but I still end up with the loops on the back side.  Any help would be greatly appreciated THANK YOU!  :-)

8 answers to this question

Thanks Froggy:  Good suggestion - I've never used any of these sites so don't know what I'm doing.  Here are some pics of what I'm trying to explain.  The first shot of the project laying flat, the second shot with it standing on edge and the third shot at more a a tilt.  I want the loops to face me so they look like that third photo.  Maybe I'm dreaming and that just can't happen BUT my crapping out memory wants to think that years past when I crocheted I was always looking right at those v loops as I worked.  Thanks again for any and ll suggestions, Pamesu  

post-74630-0-83115500-1426262774_thumb.jpg

post-74630-0-55108600-1426262787_thumb.jpg

post-74630-0-80800700-1426262802_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the ville!

Just for reference, you are asking about the tops of stitches, not chains as the thread title says.

I think it is pretty normal to not see both the top loops after you turn the work. If you were working in the round and not turning, you would see both top loops more clearly, maybe that is what you are remembering.

Hi Kathy:  Thanks for the 'Welcome' and advice.  I was going to introduce myself to the group but could not figure out how to do so.  I see what you're saying about my using the incorrect term for the tops of the stitches - perfect example of my dysfunction - things like that can really foul up the works.  You hit the nail on the head - I was doing just fine with the hats I made recently - I could see the stops of those stitches easily - so - do you just kind of go by 'feel' then or do you actually pull the top back towards your lap so you can see the stitches - it seems so inefficient to do it that way but maybe I feel that way because I got use to being able to see the tops of the stitches when crocheting hats in the round.  Thanks for your help, pamesu

Thanks Froggy & Kathy:  Things are now moving right along.  I was paranoid to do much because when I started back crocheting after 25 years I made a few hats and I had to take each and everyone apart multiple times trying to get them 'right' and I didn't want to do that with my current project.  Seems I just needed to get 'use' to the way things look and feel - Now I'm back in the groove.  Thanks for the help! 

When you make a stitch, the 'chain' looking part at the top of the stitch you just made tilts very slightly toward you.

If you are crocheting something in the round, with the same side always facing you (like those hats probably were), the top 'chain' will always be tipped slightly toward you.

If you are working back and forth and turning, the top of the row that you just finished and has been turned is now facing slightly away from you.  I don't know of a way to fix that, it's the nature of the stitch.  All I can think of is to bring the work closer to you as you've already suggested, and lower, so you can see the tops better.

Thank You both Becky & Granny Square:  Everything everyone has said has helped!  I AM getting use to it again.  Even though I'm ripping things out right and left, I still find it SO relaxing ~ It's great to be back and finding this site was a real bonus since I live in the boonies with no yarn,  crafts stores or help nearby.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!! 

Archived