Changing Skeins When Using Bulky (6) Thread

Galathiel

Question

I decided to make a classic chunky cowl scarf (was given the pattern by an instructor at Joann's).  My question is this:  since the yarn is so bulky and the crochet so loose (using a Q hook), how are you able to secure the yarn ends when you have to go to your second skein? (this pattern calls for 2 skeins of yarn).  It's basically just a dc scarf.  I have a dread of it coming unraveled due to not being securely tied off.

3 answers to this question

No matter the yarn size, I unravel the tail left for sewing, then weave in each individual strand (on the back side), one stitch at a time in a up-down pattern, each strand in the opposite direction of the last one completed. Works great on bulky yarn as it doesn't add much to the stitches.

This link is for knitting, but, the Stockinette demo is basically what I do and I have never had any ends slip out.

I used to do a Russian Join, but I have found that the braided join is more invisible-the Russian join seems thicker (unless it's just my technique) and the braided comes out no thicker than 1 strand.  Neither involve weaving into the fabric, just weaving in to the yarn.  One perk is that you can do this in the middle of a row, and it doesn't show .

If you are using wool or mostly wool, a 'spit splice' works great too (just get the ends wet and rub vigorously until the ends felt together)

Russian Join

Braided Join

edit - I amended the above to say that braided is no thicker than 1 strand, what I said before was misleading.

Archived