Pattern Help Fishermans Blanket by Erma Fielder

drc1973

Question

12 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

Where is the pattern? Tell us the title of book or magazine, or website if it is online. If it is free online you can link to it.

And you can type out the section you need help with, it is ok to post a bit of a pattern.

Fisherman style things usually have a lot of post stitches which can definitely get confusing.

I have found a link to a an aran pattern in an out of print book, but it doesn't say 'Fisherman', (Lee Wards yarn-I miss all the different craft stores there used to be!)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-aran

If you give us a line or 2 of the pattern maybe we can help (just don't scan the whole pattern & post here, that's a no-no)

It's from the Afghan Collector's series. I bought the pattern. I'm having trouble figuring out the "working in the row before last back loops". I think I've figured something out but not sure. Hopefully it takes shape after a few rows and I can see the pattern form. The pattern hasn't been totally clear as to which side down the center piece to work from and if it should be wrong side facing or right side. I've decided to flip the work and try the other way. If trial and error seems to continue to fail, I'm throwing in the towel and paying someone to finish! Any taker?!? lol

I've never had this much trouble before with a pattern.

Row 1: Working across center, ch 1, sc in end of each row across, turn

Row 2: Working this row in front lps only, ch 1, sc each st across, turn

Row 3: Working this row in back lps of row before last, ch 1, sc in each st across. (This is my problem row) I really think I might have been working from the wrong side.....I hope.

it looks like for row 3 you go back to row 1 and sc in the back loops of row 1.  That would be easier to do if row 1 had been worked in the front loops only, but row 1 doesn't say that.  

usually front loop and back loop are defined as the 2 "loops" at the top of a stitch, but maybe this pattern means a section of the stitch lower down.  maybe it means the back bar as shown here http://crochetpatterncompanion.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-crochet-into-that-third-loop-or.html

be sure to read everthing at the beginning and end of the pattern, and of the book if it is in a book, and anything on special stitches or notes that accompany the pattern, sometimes such info is kind of hidden away in an odd spot.  

I've read it numerous times to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. I, like you, assumed the back bar. That's what I'm doing. I suppose I'll see what happens with that. I am surprised the directions aren't more detailed. It's a bit confusing. Thank you all so much for the help.

It actually meant to crochet in the back bar like magiccrochetfan said above. With some trial an error and after a couple of rows, it started to take shape. If you find this pattern, it's worth trying. It's actually turning out to be a very pretty piece. Thank you for the help!

Archived