Pattern reading HELP!

CraftyKrueger

Question

I didn't know where to put this so I'll put it here too!

I am stuck on a row in the pattern I am working with.

It is working around but the way I am reading the row/round, it doesn't go all the way around the project!!!

Here is row instructions.

16th Row: *{Sh over sh, 2ch, 10tr in next 5ch sp, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch} 3 times, **sh over sh, 2ch, dbl sh over sh, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc into next 3ch loop, {3ch, dc in next 3ch loop} 3 times. Repeat from ** once, repeat from * once. Join with ss into 3rd of initial 3ch.

The problem is I count the going around into 6 "sections" then as to beginning. But I have 19 "sections".

Section being sh st thru end of DC/ch3.

20 answers to this question

HA!! I had troubles with that pattern (table topper one), although not with the wrong number of stitches.  

You know that the double asterisk ** is to be ignored completely, until you get to the spot where it tells you to react to it, right?  Other pattern questions have come up where people thought that was the end of the repeat.

Re: my table topper trouble: it may have been a disconnect between my tension and the designers'.   The center circle ruffled; I ignored it and kept going, since a lot of doilies ruffle for the beginning few rounds but heal themselves later.  However,by a few rounds from the end I realized it wouldn't fix itself.  (Speaking in US terms) I ripped back most of the way and replaced the doubles with triples, and it laid perfectly flat.  Ruffling means the circumference is too big for the diameter, which can be fixed by fewer stitches around (decreasing circumference) or making taller stitches (adding diameter).  I thought the latter would be easier rather than redesigning it.  

Gee I am behind in my posting. Just wondering if you've been back to the board and how it's working out. I finished the doily with no problems. For me the pattern is written fine with no mistakes as  I am use to vintage patterns which are written differently than they are today.. You just need to do what is says taking each part one step at a time. 

It may help. This is actually my first "odd" doily. I've only done a few simple circles before this which are super easy as log as you can see the thread lol. I'll try to go by the pic. Wish me luck!

I think it will help you to use the pictures and the directions too. I'm trying this pattern too but it's slow going due to my hands and body slowing down I guess, then I had rnd 12 done and realized I forgot to dbl sh so am starting that over. I looked at the picture and the directions and it looks like they work ok to me. It is done in rounds for the first 18 rnds then 19 starts the first side for rows. I think the reason Rounds 15 on are confusing is they have differences in parts due to that is where the foundation is laid, to start the sides to be able to get the pineapples there but not in the middle parts.. 

I was hoping to find something like "OH!  The patterns are exactly the same except for this little omitted/added phrase which would solve the problem".  But like I said, they diverged - right at the same round that we both saw issues, so I'm not much help I'm afraid. And my note on round 15 made it closer to your round 15 .

I was serious about studying the photo, though - the free pattern has a good straight-on shot, maybe you could blow it up, print it, count rows and see what it looks like needs to happen.  That's one nice thing about pineapples, they are sort of predictable.  And if you have ever worked with a doily stitch schematic versus written, a good photo is the next best thing...

Any chance you wanna email me yours? Only reason I ask is cause my MIL loves it and that's who I was making it for

You may want to reread the site guidelines; to make a copy of a pattern and give it to someone would violate the copyright and thus the site guidelines.  

I found my copy of the coffee table topper pattern, and compared it to your link. I'd made this several years ago and remembered the ruffling part, but apparently forgot there were other issues - our patterns correspond thru round 14, but not after that. I had made some notes on rounds 15 &19, but actually my notes made my pattern closer to yours.

I assume what I did on the problem rounds was tried to figure out what I needed to do by following the photo.

Any chance you wanna email me yours? Only reason I ask is cause my MIL loves it and that's who I was making it for

I found my copy of the coffee table topper pattern, and compared it to your link.  I'd made this several years ago and remembered the ruffling part, but apparently forgot there were other issues - our patterns correspond thru round 14, but not after that.  I had made some notes on rounds 15 &19, but actually my notes made my pattern closer to yours.

I assume what I did on the problem rounds was tried to figure out what I needed to do by following the photo.  

Yes I did know that.. Im so confused on where I messed up or what I'm not understanding. I do have ruffling though and actually assumed it would work itself out. But now I'm not so sure. I did the opposite though. My tr (UK) are now tr (us). So now I think I have two issues to resolve

you're welcome!  found it on ravelry, you are not the only one to have problems with the pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/oval-pineapple-doily/comments

though a lot of people have made it http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/oval-pineapple-doily/people   you may find some helpful info in the notes.  and you can see details in photos so that would help me to understand the construction.  

this one seems to be the same thing, if you can find a copy of it http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/coffee-table-topper

Not sure where you are located, but the pattern seems to be in UK/Australian terms. So dc is US single, tr is US double. I don't think that accounts for the problem you are having though. Since there are no stitch counts or a clear photo, there is really not enough info to sort this out, for me.

I am pretty sure this is not the only version of this pattern, maybe seek out an alternative?

This is from the row before. But the next 2 rows (17&18) don't make much sense either now that I'm reason ahead. 5this is an oblong pineapple centerpiece but I haven't finished my first circle of pineapples yet so it shouldn't be starting the two sides yet I wouldn't think. Even if it is im not sure why it would say to as in beginning instead of ch an turn.

15th Row: *{Sh over sh, 2ch, sh of 2tr, 5ch, 2tr in next sh, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, 1dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch} 3 times, {sh over sh, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch} 2 times. Repeat from* to end of row. Join with ss into 3rd of initial 3ch.

16th Row: *{Sh over sh, 2ch, 10tr in next 5ch sp, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch} 3 times, **sh over sh, 2ch, dbl sh over sh, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc into next 3ch loop, {3ch, dc in next 3ch loop} 3 times. Repeat from ** once, repeat from * once. Join with ss into 3rd of initial 3ch.

17th Row: Sh over sh, 2ch, tr in next tr of 10tr group, {1ch, 1tr in next tr} 9 times, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch. Repeat from * twice more. ** {sh over sh, 2ch} 4 times, 1dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, 1dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch. Repeat from ** once. Repeat from start of row once. Join with ss into 3rd of initial 3ch.

18th Row: *Sh over sh, 2ch, 1dc into next 1ch sp, {3ch, 1dc into next 1ch sp.} 8 times, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, 1tr in remaining 3ch loop, 2ch. Repeat from * twice more. **{sh over sh, 3ch, 1dc in 2ch sp., 3ch} 3 times, sh over sh, 2ch, 1tr in remaining 3ch loop, 2ch. Repeat from** once, repeat from start of row once.

welcome to the ville!

so, you do this part 3 times {Sh over sh, 2ch, 10tr in next 5ch sp, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch} 

then you do this 3 times  sh over sh, 2ch, dbl sh over sh, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc into next 3ch loop, {3ch, dc in next 3ch loop}

then it says to repeat that last part again......doesn't quite make sense to do it 3x then do it once, should just say do it 4x if that's what it means, so maybe i am not understanding it.   Oh wait, it means to do that 3x again , i think.  

then it says to repeat from the first asterisk again, so i take it that would be the whole thing again...so that would be repeating {Sh over sh, 2ch, 10tr in next 5ch sp, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 3ch, dc in next 3ch loop, 2ch} 3 times, **sh over sh, 2ch, dbl sh over sh, 2ch, sh over sh, 2ch, dc into next 3ch loop, {3ch, dc in next 3ch loop} 3 times.

if you do all that, does it work out?  

Archived