Pattern Help!

NikkiJean

Question

Hi all

I’m fairly new to crocheting and I need some help reading the pattern.

I’m working on a poncho and it’s worked in rounds. I’m good up until rounds 3 and 4 then I get confused.

the pattern reads as follows:

Ch 60, without twisting ch, sl st in first ch.
Rnd-1: Ch 1, hdc in each st around, sl st to top of beg ch-
Rnd-2: Ch 1, 1 hdc in same st (ch 2, 2 hdc) in same sp,
*hdc in next 14 sts, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) Shell made, in
next st, rep from * around, sl st to beg ch-1.
Rnd-3: Ch 1, *(2hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in next ch-2 sp, hdc in
next ch-2 sp, rep from *around, sl st in beg ch-1.
Rnd-4: Ch 1, hdc in next ch-2 sp, *(2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in
next ch-2 sp, hdc in next ch-2 sp, rep from * around, sl
st in beg ch-1.

I’m confused with rounds 3 and 4. any help is appreciated!
what I think is that I have to place the (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) into the first ch-2 space from the shell on the previous round. but what i’m not understanding is if i do that, then just hdc into the next shell stitch and so on, i’m running out of ch-2 spaces (shell st) to stitch into for round 4.

Thanks!

Nikki

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Is this a free pattern that you can link to?  Or, if not free, could you link to a pic of the finished item?    (don't scan if it's in a book, that would be against copyright rules).  

The instructions are going to make a strange thing as written.

Round 2 makes a mostly HDC round with 4 shells evenly spaced.

Round 3 gathers all the shells up in a bunch, leaving gaps where the runs of 14 plain HDC were.  Round 4 is impossible.  Something is definitely amiss!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/184947578/springfall-cowl-poncho-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_1&ga_search_query=poncho%2Bpattern

here is a link to the item, you can see the finished product in the photo there.

the pattern begins at the neck (not the cowl) and then rnd 5-10 is to repeat rnd 4

i contacted the seller/designer for some help and she replied

You do 2hdc, ch2, 2hdc (corner) in every ch2 sp and hdc in each st between corners.

so i'm assuming i will hdc in the stitches between shells, stitch new shells into the previous shells.

I know you purchased this, but if you really get stuck here are some free patterns from a search on 'cowl poncho' on Ravelry.  If you want to see also for purchase ones, I think you should be able to deselect 'free' at the left side ( I think the view is different if you are a member or not )

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&query=cowl%20poncho&availability=free&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best

I am stuck on a cowl pattern for a poncho. Paid pattern

I am to do treble front post at base of chain one stitch, this stitch doesn't count. When i do this, creates another stitch . would I count this extra stitch as my first stitch ?

Archived