About to pull out hair over grand lacy pineapple shawl, help?

DQfan937

Question

Hi everyone, I think I ( stupidly) paid for this pattern a few years ago, found it and really want to try it now that I'm better. I've reworked it about 5 times and still the pineapple part doesn't work out right, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong, but I'm starting to think the pattern itself is wrong.

If anyone is able to work it and help me, it works up fast, thanks!

The 1st row says: ch 7, work (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in 4th st from hook, skip 2 sts of ch, a shell of ( 3dc, ch3, 3dc) in end chain.

the rest is in picture:

post-44145-0-93114600-1420248073_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Hi everyone, I think I ( stupidly) paid for this pattern a few years ago, found it and really want to try it now that I'm better. I've reworked it about 5 times and still the pineapple part doesn't work out right, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong, but I'm starting to think the pattern itself is wrong. 

If anyone is able to work it and help me, it works up fast, thanks!

The 1st row says: ch 7, work (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in 4th st from hook, skip 2 sts of ch, a shell of ( 3dc, ch3, 3dc) in end chain. 

the rest is in picture:

Row one should read ...ch 7, work (2dc, ch3, 3dc)  because when you go into the 4th ch from hook that will create your first dc, making the shell form those 3dc ,ch 3, 3dc.  I hope that helps you out :)

Please say where the pattern is and what you mean by the pineapple not being right, I will try to work on it later.

I haven't picked up hook and yarn to test this, but just reading and 'crocheting in my head' I'm not spotting where your picture doesn't match the pattern.  What you have done so far looks like a reasonable start for a pineapple pattern to me.  What do you think is the matter?

Is this the pattern by chance?  What you have done looks like the start of this one.  Or, if it isn't this pattern, does your pattern picture more or less look like this, which would still indicate that you are on track.... 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/super-size-pineapple-shawl

thanks everyone. Where it's not working out is the 6th row where it tells you to repeat from * once you're in the pineapple and there are not enough spaces to repeat. Granny Square, that is not my pattern, but close. Mine was bought and is a vintage pattern called " grand lacy pineapple shawl"

Oh, I see what you mean.

At the end of row 5 you should have 8 DC in the pineapple.

Row 6 wants you to use 9 DC, but you only have 8.  The stitches it would have you end up with is 12.

Row 7 uses 12 to end up with 15 DC.  

What I would do is fudge and use the 8 DC available in row 6 to make 12 DC, in a way that you think looks best; this would make the following rows work out. 

I haven't worked it yet but have been studying it for a while since I got home about an hour ago  and  the pattern doesn't have enough stitches in row 5 to work in for row 6. You do have the 8 it calls for and  have only worked in 7, but the row still  needs one more yet.I also studied the picture of the other one and it does have the right amounts but is done differently than this to get them. I have a few ideas how to add the extra  stitch in either row 5 or 6 and will look at that later. It might help you to look at the other picture if you can get it big enough. I will see if there are others too.

Ah, I didn't catch that in row 5-- I was just counting total stitches, not stitches used, until row 6.

I've re-typed part of the pattern from the first post: you should delete the scan of the pattern as it is against this forum's policy (because it violates copyright).  (your swatch pic is OK!) Just typing part of the pattern, as below, is OK (it's only the pineapple stitches, not the whole row)

row 1-2 is before the pineapple starts

3) 3 dc (total 3)

4) 2 dc in each dc (total 6—uses 3, OK)

5) 1 dc in first dc, 2 dc in each of next 3 dc, 1 dc (total 8 – problem, only uses 5 not 6)

6) 2 dc in next dc, *1 dc in each of next 3,2 dc in next dc; repeat from * once (total 12—problem, wants to use 9, but should be only 8 from prior row)

7) wants to use 12, makes 15 –OK

8) uses 15

I think I'd do 2 things--first, fudging as I said before, to get the right end number of stitches in the pineapple, using the stitches you have available to you from the row below.  The second is optional--try sketching the stitches.  Just make a line for each DC in each row, for increases make a V coming out of a stitch below, and assuming there are decrease later, make it a ^ over 2 stitches below (just for the pineapple part--the edge shells and chains don't seem to be the problem).  It might help the 'fudging' and be quicker than starting over completely.

I would change the 5th row to get the 9 as the next 2 would seem right, then in row 9 it is dcs with chs between then the loops  start etc. I tried different ways but this seems best.

row 5 ---dc in 1st st, 2 dc in next, 1 in next, 2 in next, 1 in next, 2 in next ( 9 using 6)

Thank you all for coming back and helping..the other problem is in row 4..it says 3dc in next ch st to start pineapple. Yet you would have to do 4 to be able to 1dc in first dc of pineapple, 2dc in each of next 3.in the 5th row...there are so Many errors in this thing...I don't want to get way farther and there's a big mistake again. Should I give up on this one?

The only problem I get is row 5 though. I think  you are misreading it now as  row 4  is 2 dc in each of 3 dc which gives you 6, and you  have it for 1-4 right in your picture, then it needs to change row 5 , (--1-dc in 1st st, 2 dc in next, 1 in next, 2 in next, 1 in next, 2 in next  )( to get  9 using 6) and then 6 7 and 8 work  as the pattern.

post-10430-0-63011500-1420472370_thumb.jpg

I don't see any other mistakes than row 5 though as

This is done 1-6 with the change for row 5, as long as you get 9 there then the other  rows 6 7 8 do work as pattern has.  the picture isn't the greatest as the thread and my hands wouldn't cooperate  very good this morn.

edited to say bummer I see I don't have the chains after the first shell and before the last just wasn't my morning I guess but anyway the dcs are right.

Archived