Shaded Triangle Magic Scarf

Jessica Tropiano

Question

16 answers to this question

Thank you very much. I will do what you say and let you know. I am a self-taught crocheter for the most part. A

Nun teacher I had in high school started me way back when. Hadn't crocheted in 43 years..picked a crochet hook up 2 years ago and I

am obsessed! Much to my husband's chagrin. Hey, I could have picked up much worse "habits"

I'll post a pic when I follow your instructions.

Thanks.

Jessica

magiccrochetfan explained it much better than I could have!  

Hey!  What better obsession could there possibly be?!  Happy crocheting!

I read along further, it will form a triangle, I think you didn't go far enough to notice something changed in row 5.  At the end of row 3 and 4 you have the same amount of stitches.  At the end of row 5, you have 1 less sc and 1 less ch-1 space.  So if you repeat row 4 and 5 fourteen times as it says, at the end of row 35 you have only 2 chains and 1 sc.

The stitch counts given at the end of rows & 5 are only true of the first iterations of those rows, the counts will be less and less each time you repeat them.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I have crochet and recrocheted the first five rows about six times. I have given up. The crocheting looks fine...thanks to all of you for explaining.

There still is no triangle in sight! And looking ahead in the pattern, there does not  seem to be any instructions that will make it

look like a triangle. I hate to say this, but I may be giving up.(at least for now)

Thanks again for all of your help.

In row 2, you turned the work as Magiccrochetfan described and worked a stitch in the side, then turned again and worked along the underneath side of the chain, then turned again and you are ready to work across the top of row 1.

In row 3, you are working across row 1.  The note at the end of row 3, "turn, 16 sc, 15 ch-1 spaces, 1 ch-2 space" is not telling you to do something (well, except the turn part), it's a recap of the number and type of stitches you should have after completing row 3.  It's there help you double check that your stitch count is correct.

The 'turn' after row 3 to start row 4 is a normal turn, row 4 works back across row 3, not all the way around the sides and bottom again like row 2.

A chain-x space is created when you make a stitch, chain x number of stitches, and make another stitch.  In row 4, it is telling you to do something in the chain-1 and chain-2 spaces.  This means you put your hook under the little bridge between the stitches created by the chain, and complete your stitches around the chain instead of into the top of a stitch as you normally would.

I really need some help to, row 1 and 2 just worked.. Row 3 i just dont get..

Is there anyway we could get a video or picture how to? Or explained differently? Im so frustrated. Also i dont know what this means -turn sc 16 15 ch 1-space 1ch 2-space

Thank you very much. I will do what you say and let you know. I am a self-taught crocheter for the most part. A

Nun teacher I had in high school started me way back when. Hadn't crocheted in 43 years..picked a crochet hook up 2 years ago and I

am obsessed! Much to my husband's chagrin. Hey, I could have picked up much worse "habits"

I'll post a pic when I follow your instructions.

Thanks.

Jessica

Welcome to the ville!

After you make row 1 and do the chain three, lay the piece on a table. Pivot it around so the side of row one is at the top, make the sl st there. Now lay the piece on the table again and pivot it around so the initial chain, the chain 33, is at the top. Work the rest of row 2 into the chain. Working into the free loops of the chain.

You will probably need to post a photo in order for us to help with why it isnt triangle shaped.

Archived