Color scheme for ripple afghan

Leah00

Question

Hello! I just recently finished my very first afghan! I used the easy ripple pattern...I think it may even be called "Easy Ripple Afghan". Haha.

I'm so happy with how it came out! :)

Now I'm thinking about making my mom one for Christmas. I'm having trouble figuring out what colors to use. The normal pattern has 3 colors but I could make it to have 2, 3, or even 6 different colors (I use 6 skeins of yarn). My mom's favorite color is blue... I don't want anything too crazy but I don't just want shades of blue either. Any ideas? Pictures would be great!

I've tried googling it but I haven't found anything I love yet.

I attached a picture of the one I just finished. Fall colors! :)

post-73338-0-96989400-1416177988_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

It depends on what other colors your mother likes. You can use blues with purples or greens, depending on the shade of blue. They will also go with neutrals - tan, gray, off white. I had a plaid coat many many years ago that had a sort of "country blue" with gray, tan, a light rust that was a very attractive combination. I saw a striking one on Ravelry recently that was made with navy for the principle color and used shades of bright pink - not to everyone's taste, but it was interesting.

It might be easier if you told us what brand of yarn you are using, then we could make some specific recommendations.

You could look at swatches (online) or skeins of variegated yarns with blue and see what colors the manufacturers use with them. One that comes to mind is RH Country French, or something like that using a mid range blue, yellow, and white.

Also just type in "afghans" for a pattern search on Ravelry and just scroll through, looking for pictures of afghans with blue as one of the colors. If there are patterns similar to what you are doing, look at the projects for it, so see if anyone has posted pics of one made with blue. 

These are some places to start.

I'll probably be using the Hobby Lobby brand of yarn. Just the normal acrylic stuff.

I'm not really sure what other colors my mom likes honestly... I'm thinking probably purples.

I'll go look at the photos on Ravelry right now. Great idea!

welcome to the ville :hook

a lot will depend on what is available in the yarn you plan to use.  i think the colors from green to blue to purple look great together, so I would suggest that.  this color scheme planner is fun to play with http://paletton.com/#uid=53K0u0kkfqZ9cyCftqHpkgjuBaR

the afghan in my avatar is a ripple done in colors that remind me of the ocean.  i started with aqua and ended up adding a lot of purple.  those colors I think are restful but interesting.  you could also do a medium blue, pale blue , and white.  or add maybe a bit of beige or yellow.  

Thank you! The picture in your avatar looks very pretty.

I'm happy that I joined here as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I have been very slowly self teaching myself crochet over the past few years. I'm still very much a beginner though as I've only made mostly scarves and trinkets. I'm limited on what I can do because I cannot crochet rounds to save my life....

Hi Leah- Welcome to the 'Ville!

I'm linking to a post I made last June about color schemes that may help you. Please see post #1 and #3 for the links. They always work for me when I'm having a "color pinch" as one of my college art instructors used to say.

Archived