Granny Goes Ripple

Amanda May

Question

I'm new to crocheting and was working along this "easy" blanket pattern without incident, until I got to the edging. The instructions for the last row tell me not to turn the work, then the edging starts with

side 1: Attach color A in last st made, 3 sc in same st, *2 sc over side of dc, sc in top of dc, 2 sc over 4 ch, sc in top of dc*, 2 sc over dc, sc in dc, repeat from * to* to last dc, 2 sc over last ch, 3 sc in 3rd ch.

I am working into the side of my rows, so kind of vertically almost. I'm stuck on the "over side of" and "in top of." What is the difference between "over" and "in"? And, later in the pattern, when working into the foudation side, the directions say "under" too:

2 sc over ch under 3 dc

I'm lost! Any help with "over", "under" and "in" would be much appreciated.

6 answers to this question

welcome to the ville !  

over side of means to work into the post of the stitch, or around the post of the stitch...usually this is kind of up to you, do what you think looks best.   in top of means into the top section of the stitch, where you would normally insert the hook except youare approaching it from the side instead of from above.  

when they say the chain under the stitch, you will be working into the foundation chain into which you made the first row.  you will be working into the bottom of the chain.  

Crochetcabana has a tutorial that may help visualize it http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/emb_borders.html

Okay, so I've tried to do this edging several different ways using the tips posted (thank you). I've attached front and back pictures of the best results. This still doesn't seem quite right to me. I previously posted the part of the pattern that I'm struggling with. What I've ended up with is 4 sc in the side of each dc and only 2 sc in each 4 ch space. It just looks wrong to me. Unless "2 sc over 4 ch" means 2 sc over EACH of the 4 ch for a total of 8 sc in that space? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

post-73258-0-57597400-1415343950_thumb.jpg

post-73258-0-71148500-1415344425_thumb.jpg

Honestly, if it was my project, i would probably omit the border. I don't think everything needs to be "framed". If i really felt it needed something to edge it, i would pick one color and do one row of stitches, spacing them out in a way that looked good to me.

I've had to remove the PDF of the pattern that was attached to the original post. Unfortunately, it is copyright infringement and against our forum guidelines to post copyrighted patterns on our site. The pattern file was removed to prevent legal issues for either the original poster or Crochetville.

Amanda May, you're welcome to edit your first post and include a link to the pattern in question, in case you still need help.

You know, not everybody's stitch tension in both directions is the same - not only do some crochet more loosely or tightly, some may lift their stitches up proportionately higher or yank them lower than others, so you can have multiple tension variables compared to the designer.

The goal is to have the border stitches spaced in a way that keeps the piece nice and flat, not spaced too far apart so it pulls in, or too close together so it ruffles.  Sometimes you need to throw in an extra stitch or omit one here and there to keep it flat, for your tension, whatever works to your eye.  If you have higher or lower stitches than the designers' it  would affect how many stitches you'd need to put into the side.

I would interpret 2 sc over 4 ch to be just 2 sc over that span-8 would be way to many.

Overall, to my eye it looks like there are too many stitches in your edging.  Play with it a little, don't be afraid to try something for a few inches and rip it out ;)

edit, after saying all that I think I found the pattern http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/granny-goes-ripple.html

the first side (edge of the DCs) says:

Side 1: Attach color A in last st made, 3 sc in same st ,*2 sc over side of dc, sc in top of dc, 2 sc over 4 ch, sc in top of dc*, 2 sc over dc, sc in dc, repeat from * to * to last dc, 2 sc over last ch, 3 sc in 3rd ch.

To break that down:
3 sc in same st -- most patterns use 3 stitches to 'turn a corner'
*2 sc over side of dc, sc in top of dc, 2 sc over 4 ch -- so 2 sc around the post of the dc, 1 'on top' more or less means between the rows at the side edge--pick a spot and be consistent.  You said you were putting 4 scs into/for each dc which is 1 more than the pattern calls for.  If your first edging round has too many stitches, the remaining rounds will form a 'wave' which you don't want.  You can compensate by removing stitches later, but it would look better to have the base round as flat as possible.

As i recall, the edging is several rounds of sc, just plain sts, not lacy or anything, so i don't think the st count is crucial.

I can't remember what the pattern was, shoulda linked it at the time. It was on red heart or yarnspirations site, i think.

Archived