Question regarding scarves, cowls, infinity scarves

LegalWoman17

Question

Ladies, please don't think I'm stupid. 

What is the difference between scarves, cowls and infinity scarves?  It seems to me they are all just scarves with the ends sewn together.  Is it just me?  Please explain the difference.  Thank you !!!

4 answers to this question

to me, an infinity scarf is the one that is a scarf w/ ends sewn together.  it would be as long as a regular scarf; i just made one that was 70" long before seaming, long enough to loop around the neck twice and fall about mid chest.

A cowl to me is much shorter if laid out flat.  if worn as a scarf it would only be long enough to tuck into the collar of your coat and wouldn't have ends to dangle.  It covers the area from neck to shoulders, more or less.  

But just like crochet stitch pattern names, the terms are not standardized at all, so people can call their creations whatever they want.  (including calling a cowl a snood which drives me crazy---a snood is worn on the hair, not around the neck!)  

I agree with Kathy's definition of how we use the word cowl now, actually a cowl is technically a hood or collar but ... never mind.  Really what we are calling (some) cowls nowadays fall closer to the definition of wimples (a separate garment worn around the neck that can be pulled over the head).

And yes, snoods have nothing to do with your neck. and beanies are NOT hats that come anywhere near to covering your ears.  Argh!

Archived