purchasing yarn for 'custom' order...

hello all...

i dont know if this this the right place to post this but...

i've been crocheting a lot, and i just made up a nice scarf using Lion Brand Kool Wool (oh my gosh! this stuff is awesome. i just sit and pet my scarf all day long! ;)

anywho... so everyone sees my things and they say i should sell them. then my buddy says he wants me to make him a scarf. he'd be willing to purchase the yarn that he wants and then pay me for making it.

first off. he doesnt know jack about yarn. he wants a really long wide scarf and wants at least some wool or natural fiber in it. being that i crochet only, and he wants a really long, wide scarf, he'd have to purchase a lot of yarn.

what's the most economical way to do this?

also... i havent sold anything to anyone yet, but i'm seriously thinking of selling my work online, and i was thinking for a 'normal' sized scarf i'd charge 15-20$.... but, if he wants this very long and wide one... i'd have to charge more. but then it might be a turn off for him to do it if he has to buy a large amount of yarn, then pay for my work for such a large piece.

so confused.

any feedback would be welcomed!

Rosemary

I sell scarfs also, it seems you don't really get paid for your time just the yarn! lol! But I would say depending on the yarn u buy and amount I would at least double the cost. I would suggest taking this person with you to buy yarn so that he knows what yarn costs and doesn't think you are going to rip him off for the cost! He just might change his mind about the type of yarn he has in mind.

what i do is charge 3 times the amount of the yarn, except for pieces made with thread as they are worth a lot more. so if the yarn cost 5 dollars

charge 15. but you have to include the cost of yarn with the purchase, then add it to it.like the 5 dollar yarn and 15 for making it

i wish you luck but don't want to get your hopes up, most people think that you can make things cheap(its hand made so must not cost as much syndrom) and i think if he wants a huge scarf with pricey yarn then charge him the cost of the yarn, plus 20.00 for your time. most people will not pay more than that though so good luck:hook :hook

Archived