Crochet pattern says "worked into the bottom outside (not the usual top loops that face you)"? What does this mean?

Heather Barenberg

Question

3 answers to this question

If you look at a double crochet from the top, you have two loops but at the back, is another loop - if it were the starting chain, you'd call it the back ridge - THAT is what she wants you to crochet into.  I can't find one for double crochet, but this shows you what I'm talking about on a starting chain - IF you look at your double crochet FROM THE TOP, you'll see that "ridge" and that's what you need to crochet into.What it's going to do is pull your work to the front and those top loops will face towards you - it just gives it a certain look.    

This is called Camel Crochet because you work into the "hump" of the stitch. In the beginning ch row, you work the stitches in back ridge. The other rows, after you ch and turn, you put the hook in the loop (hump) below the front loop of the stitch, pushing the regular loops to the back. It makes the piece look "knitted". The book says it's only done in sc (was printed in 1990). If your pattern calls for dc, then I assume someone figured out how to do it in dc and that's what your pattern wants you to do. Good luck.

Ellie 13

Archived