spinning different yarns together

Ilah

I have a babe wheel which I have been using to ply/spin together different commercially bought yarns - or at least trying to, I am still in the learning stage. Do other people do this too?

For my first try, I spun together two yarns that were exactly the same except for their color, because I thought this would be easiest. This was kind of my learning batch so some of it ended up spun too tight and was a curly mess, but a managed to get a fair amount that was usable. For my nest attempt, I tried some caron simply soft with a strand of chenille from a cone yarn. The chenille was noticable thinner than the simply soft. I wound some of the chenille yarn off into a ball so it would ply easier. I managed to get some plyed together but hit a snag and I am having a little trouble plying it together now. I have started over with a fresh bobbin, but it isn't working well. This might just be because I am new at this it need lots of pactice, but I was also thinking:think Is chenille harder to ply with other yarns than regular yarns? Is it harder to ply together two yarns of differing weights? Should I practice more on plying the same weight yarns together before I move on to combining two different yarns?

Another thought. I have seen pricy little balls of yarn that were chenille and and eyelash yarn twisted together. I often see good deals on chenille yarn on cones. I am thicking I could twist chenille and eyelash yarns together on my wheel for a more affordable version of this, but perhaps this is a pretty advanced thing and I should get more practice on simpler yarns first.

okay i've never done this or even touched a wheel but here's my two penn'orth. it must be harder to do this than plying your own spun singles because the commercial yarns are balanced when you start, there's no excess spin to help hold the strands together when you ply them.

if i was going to try my hand i reckon i'd put more spin into the 'singles' first, then ply them together in the reverse direction. otherwise i don't see how you could balance them.

just a thought...

I spin alot of yarn, but occasionally ply a commercial yarn. I think it is harder to do than spinning a yarn from roving. If I want a thicker yarn, I navajo ply the yarn, it is a little like a crochet chain.

Are you trying to learn to spin by plying? If you are you have probably mastered the part of spinning that is treadling and moving your hands. So take that leap and spin your own yarn! You can do it!!!

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

Hi i'm a spinner from Australia. Whe you ply two commercial threads they are usually already plied. So if you ply them again you need almost no tension at all and ply it to the right which is the direction most people spin . If you are plying whats called singles. Thats what you've spun yourself you would ply two together to the left. I would suggest you buy a copy of Spin Off magazine for some advice on where you could find a spinning group or person to show you properly.Its a US magazine & terrific!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived