Help with pattern, please!

Solstyce

Question

I'm pretty new at crochet, so if someone could dumb down this for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Row 1: 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in each of the next 10 ch, 3 hdc in next ch, hdc in each of the next 10 ch, dec2tog. (25)

Row 2: ch 2 and turn (skip 1st hdc), hdc in each of the next 11 hdc, 3 hdc in next hdc, hdc in each of the next 10 hdc, dec2tog. (25)

4 answers to this question

What are you having problems with?  If it is the number 25 in the parentheses, that is just the information telling you how many total stitches you will end up with in that row.

What are  you needing exactly? The row is half double crochet stitches across, with directions how many to do in each chain or stitch, with a double crochet decrease in the last 2 chains or stitches.

I really don't know how to read patterns yet, I understand the abbreviations as there are lots of charts online.

My friend pointed most things out to me(this was after the post) other than her not having done a dec2tog with hdc before.

Dec2tog is sloppy pattern writing; there are 'rules' for pattern writing so people can read them.  (stitch name)2tog means to decrease, but it must name the stitch, like sc2tog, hdc2tog, dc2tog, etc.

In general, to form a decrease by forming 2 stitches together, you make 1 stitch but stop short of the last yarn pull-thru; make another of the same type of stitch, into the next stitch in the row below, and also don't complete it; then pull thru all the loops (should be 3) on the hook.  This makes 2 stitches at the bottom, but are joined so there is only 1 stitch at the top so there will be 1 less stitch available to use in the next row.

Here are 2 great resources for learning how to read & execute patterns:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html   I've linked to the table of contents, please browse!

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards.html  See the menu at the left

Archived