(20 dc's and 20 ch 1 sps)

tomig

Question

12 answers to this question

A lot of times, at the end of the instructions for a particular row/round in crochet patterns, the writer will tell you how many stitches you are supposed to have...

I'm guessing here, because there isn't a reference so I don't know for sure what pattern you're working, but it sounds like the directions may have been something like work a double crochet, then a chain, then a double crochet, then a chain... either around in a circle or in a row.  At the end, you should have 20 double crochet stitches, with a chain between each stitch - so 20 chain spaces... 

Whenever you have a single chain stitch between two other stitches that's a chain space.

Hope that helps!!  :D

How do you keep our work from curling up? Ivy read that sometimes it'll fix it's self after a min but it seems that each round I add just keeps pulling it into a bowl shape. I know that I might need to change my needle size but I don't think ill be able to use a larger size. I dont know much about needle to string size ratio

post-72794-0-68457300-1410367425_thumb.jpg

what round are you on?  

what reference are you using for how to form each type of stitch?  it looks like you are doing half double or double (in US terms) instead of single crochet. also it looks like you don't have enough chains in between the other stitches.  

I have reached the end of rnd two where you sl to the third ch on the ch four. For the step right before this I did the dc, us terms, plus a ch one right after each double. I tried to get through the (20dc's and 20 ch1 sps) but when I got to the ** part of rnd three I was lost yet again. This pattern is tricky for me I'm really only familiar with basic stitches and this is the first I've ever dealt with spaces. I'll also need this loop thing explained to me /: but I am determined to figure this out

post-72794-0-43737100-1410387349_thumb.jpg

no, i don't think the magic ring is the problem.  the center and round 1 seem to be OK.  round 1 was a chain-3 and 19 dc.  the ch3 counts as a dc so the final count for round 1 is 20 dc.  that appears ok in the pic as far as i can see, but i can't count the stitches.  

You have the double crochet stitch right for round 2, but you have not done round 2 correctly.  

Round 2 is "Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch 1), *dc in next st, ch 1*, rep from * to* around. Join with sl to 3rd ch of beg ch 4."

That is the end of round 2.  After this you are ready to start round 3.  

So look at the stitch count at the end of the round 2, in parentheses: "(20 dc's and 20 ch 1 sps)."  this is telling you that at the end of round 2 you should have made 20 dc and 20 chain spaces. Again, that part in parentheses is just telling you your stitch count for the round, it is not instructions to make those stitches at this point, it is only a recap of what you made in round two.   it looks like you have actually gone around the circle twice here....like you made another 20 dc and 20 ch spaces instead of simply counting your stitches?  if so, rip out the last 20dc/20 ch sps and get back to the actual end of round 2.  (it may be easiest to rip back to the end of round 1, then redo round 2 from scratch)

Hopefully I've explained all this so that it makes sense, let me know if not.  

If you are hving trouble knowing which is the first stitch of the round (the initial chain) , mark the top of it with a bit of yarn tied in, or a bobby pin.  

Round 3 has more chains in  between the single crochet sts so will grow in width more quickly, due to having more chains in between the sc which is shorter than dc.   this should make round 3 lie flat instead of cupping.  

Magiccrochetfan, I had some trouble with your link, let's see if this works 

http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/Patterns/dreamcatcher.php

Tomig, there's a special meaning to a double asterisk ** which is different from *stuff inside sing asterisks*.  Here is a link that will explain this (scroll down) http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Typically patterns are written in a format like this:

Do stuff at the beginning,

*repeat stuff written inside the asterisks the number of times, or distance, it tells you*,

the number of times or distance to repeat,

do stuff at the end.

Sometimes, like in your pattern, there's a summary of the stitches you will end up with if you did all of the above correctly.  It's not meant as an instruction to do something, it's just a double-check aid.

Your instructions were great actually sorry I didn't realize the first time.  I've ripped it out and re done it till I came out with 20 dc for rnd two but now that I've reached the end of rnd 3 I only have 18 loops not 20. I don't see how it will be any different if I take it out and do rnd over again. Ive googled pictures of what my project is suppose to look like completed and my rnd 3 is obviously wrong but don't understand why. The picture looks like its attached in the same place at mine but the stitches look different, like they had more than a ch 3 but that doesn't explain why I have only 18 chain loops instead of 20 :P

post-72794-0-65590600-1410487851_thumb.jpg

Archived