wedding ring bedspread

Tonda

Question

16 answers to this question

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, vintage patterns can be a fun puzzle but are much more fun when there is a detailed photo (or detailed drawing, as you find in some really old books from the 1800s).  This pattern's sketch wasn't detailed enough to answer questions.

Please don't feel too discouraged.  When you find an old pattern on line, there may be things missing that would be helpful to have like a bigger photo to guide you, or any kind of stitch explanation, if there was one in the original publication.  there can also be typos and things that just didn't get transferred correctly.

I would say that the most relaible sources of useable vintage patterns are Celt's vintage yahoo group as mentioned above, and current books like http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Lace-Jean-Leinhauser/dp/140273350X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410292509&sr=8-1&keywords=crochet+lace+weiss

Hope you have good luck finding a pattern that is more user-friendly :hook

Thank everyone..........I think I have got most of the pattern worked out now. I am having problems with another part of it. Filet corner, I do not understand what it means by 2d st. and 3d ch st. Can anyone help on that? This is how it reads

2nd Row: Turn, 1 sl st in last 7 sts of 11-ch, ch 5, 1 dc in next tr,* ch 2, 1 dc in next 3d chain st, (ch 2, 1 dc in next 2d st) 3 times. Repeat from * 3 times, 1 tr in next 5th ch st.

Oh, I didn't mean to discourage you from crocheting, but unless you are very good and love to do thread work, you'll be pulling your hair out with this pattern. I would definitely go ahead and make something, but I'd look for something you won't want to stomp on and burn 1/4 of the way through making it!

When I made my first afghan, I ended it when it was only half made, edged it, and finished it off. I was just soooo sick of working on that thing. I had no idea of the patience a large project like that takes, and it never occured to me to switch to other smaller projects now and again.

Now, I always have numerous projects in different stages that I work on. Right now I have 3 blankets in the works, shawls, totes, a couple hats, slippers and bath cloths. I love doing this.

Hi Tonda, welcome to the ville :hook

The only thing i can add to what GrannySquare and RealDeal said, is That i think left hand loop might mean that you work into the side of the stitch.

Also, if you want specific help, you need to ask a specific question, which part of the pattern you don't understand. Still, without actually making it, no one else may be able to decipher it....its a complicated and intricate pattern with no guide to special sts and lacking even a clear photo to go by.

Are you on Ravelry? There is a vintage lovers group that might be able to help.

I'm with Real Deal.  I've been crocheting over 40 years, I like to tackle antique doily patterns (they assume the crocheter doesn't need every step spelled out like modern patterns do, but sometimes they can be very educational and inventive), but I'd give this one a pass.  I also know that even a clearly written thread bedspread pattern is a huge effort timewise and have never attempted one.

I'd seen this pattern before, but hadn't realized that each big block is made of 4 small blocks, which are each made of little pieces.  It would be so nice if this had a closeup of the block so you could see what was going on...

It looks like each little block starts with 3 flowers=little-big-little, sewn together in a row.  Then the square 'grows' around this row of flowers.

There are a couple of things, just reading the first few rows, that have me scratching my head - the reference to 'p'  and 'p loop', and 'left hand loop' - not sure if the latter means, in modern terms, front or back loop.

I'd suggest picking another pattern, if you want to stick with thread here are some links to free patterns http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&weight=thread&availability=free&sort=best&pc=bedspread

(the ones listed on Celt's website, you'll need to join her Yahoo Group).

Archived