yarn ring or magic circle

gypsyfeet

Question

I have patterns calling for a slip or yarn ring, or an amigurumi double ring..are they all the same?  And how do I do them?  I'm self taught & over 50 or more years, this is one I can't figure out how to do.  I love the animals , but they all have an opening on the beginning loop.

3 answers to this question

I generally substitute the magic ring to start most of my amigurumi's and haven't had much of a problem.  I find it to be the easiest to do and haven't had an issue with using it for the animals.  It closes the hole and solves the problem.

According to Crochet me's tutorial found here the double ring is used when making rings for heavier projects.

Love Planet June's Tutorials She has Magic Circle Tutorial here

Magic Ring Double Ring Video

Free ebook here

3 Ways to start an Amigurumi

Lion Brand

From what I can tell through looking online a yarn ring is just that you chain X number of stitches join with a slip stitch and create the circle to crochet in the round.  Most places I found substitute the magic ring for the yarn circle.  When I have used this technique for a pattern it is because it does leave a hole. There are some patterns you do want an opening and this works.  It isn't as useful for a closed hole.  You can close it, but the magic circle is easier.  I have some older ami patterns that use this technique and I've had no problem substituting the magic circle for it.

The one description I found of the slip method is virtually the magic circle and it didn't have the pictures of the others.  Hope this helps.

The adjustable ring allows you to close the hole perfectly tightly, or leave it big if you want.  I've 'embiggened' an adjustable ring hole in a doily to tame some ruffling, I've also yanked it perfectly tight with no hole for other projects.  Starting with a chain x and join will leave a hole that you can't control.

When I first read the instructions for the adjustable ring, my eyes crossed a little bit until I realized it was just a slip knot, not tightening into a knot but leaving untightened as a big loop.  Make your stitches into the big loop, working toward the tail (work over both the loop and tail); tighten by pulling the tail tight (or loose, whatever you need)  & fastening securely.  That's all it is.

Archived