Self Taught = Oblivious!

moscoops

Question

Hello all! I am self taught and I need help. I've figured out a bunch of different stitches and patterns (yay youtube), but I can't figure out how to sew appliques onto things without seeing it on the back of the project. Is that supposed to happen? I've got over 20 afghans made by my Nanny but none of them have appliques so I don't have much of a reference, and although she would know exactly what to do, she passed many years ago and I can't ask her! If someone could help me or provide a link/picture to help me, that would be great! Thanks in advance!  :ty

4 answers to this question

You sort of have to get a feel for sewing the appliques on.  You're probably using the stab method so you're going all the way through the afghan.  You're going to have to sort of feel for the center of stitches and just go through those - you can always look on the backside to look if you can see your needle.  Take your time = it'll make a big difference.

You sort of have to get a feel for sewing the appliques on.  You're probably using the stab method so you're going all the way through the afghan.  You're going to have to sort of feel for the center of stitches and just go through those - you can always look on the backside to look if you can see your needle.  Take your time = it'll make a big difference.

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing! Stabbing right through and leaving these unsightly lines of different colored yarn on the back. I didn't even think to go halfway! Thank you both so much for the advice/videos! 

Archived