Right side wrong side?

kittenofthesea

Question

I just started learning how to crochet and I'm having trouble figuring out which is the "right" and "wrong" side of my work. The side that I think is supposed to be the "right" side looks very spiraled and I don't see little v's. I'm worried that I've been crocheting incorrectly.

post-72388-0-94013400-1405934215_thumb.png

post-72388-0-77740400-1405934233_thumb.png

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

As far as the "right" and "wrong" side:  the side of the stitch that faces you as you make the stitch is usually considered the right side.  In a finished item, you may either be working rounds as you were here, or rows where you would turn the work at the end of each row so you have the stitches facing alternate ways on alternate rows.  And when working in rounds you can also turn the piece at the end of each round so the stitches face alternate ways.   

It's really up to you to decide which side of a finished piece you like the best and make that the "right" side.  Or some things could be considered reversible and either side can be used as the right side.  

I'm not really sure about the stitches in your pics, it doesn't really look "off" to me.  

^ What they said.  Also, the top of the stitch will (slightly) tilt toward you on the row you are currently working on.  See how the top of the stitches on the left photo are visible, but are turned away on the right photo?

Some patterns will designate a right and wrong side (even on a 'reversible' stitch) so that pattern directions come out right (so you don't end up with 2 left fronts of a sweater, for example).  It looks nicer if the backs and fronts of the stitches line up on the same rows when you assemble the piece.

Archived