Yarn Swift

jenuine226

I was wondering, does anyone have a METAL yarn swift? I found a decently priced yarn swift on eBay but it is METAL. All the ones I've seen pictures of have been wooden; I didn't even know they made metal yarn swifts! (And BTW, holy cow! Wooden yarn swifts are EXPENSIVE! I was expecting them to be about the same as ball winders, but they are much, much more $$$!)

Does anyone have a metal swift, and does it work well? I'm worried about spending the money for it, and then having it break because it's not as well constructed as the wooden ones. :( Somehow ... it just doesn't look as .... sturdy?! ... to me as the wooden ones!

I don't have one myself, but my LYS has one that employees and customers use to wind with, and it seems to work great! I have used it several times and have not had a problem with it...It does look and feel more "delicate" that the wooden ones, but it works great, and I am sure it gets ALOT of use being in a yarn store! Wish I could find a reasonably priced one myself...They ARE expensive!

Laurie:hook

I have what looks to be the same one. It isn't *as* sturdy as the wooden ones, but it gets the job done.

My biggest complaint with it is sometimes the slider thing (think of the part that opens an umbrella) will start to slide down if I'm winding a large skein. Not a big deal, just have to keep an eye on it and slide it back up before the yarn falls off :eek

If you have the $$$ to buy a wooden one, I'd say it's worth the investment. If you don't, I'd say it's better to have the metal one than to have none at all.

Holly

Mine, made in Japan is mostly metal and plastic. I don't use it a LOT, but unless I have a horribly wound skein (they seem to find me) it works well. I just wish I could find a place to attach it to the LEFT of my ball winder, it seems awkward on the right.

Jenny, if your Joann's has the swift in their store, that would be even better. I got an email from them to print off a 50% off coupon that is good this Friday, and another for Saturday. I'm not at home, but if you can't find it online, email or pm me and I'll send you the site address tonight if you're interested.

Holly, I have the ball winder on my comp desk (on the left side) so I can wind and watch tv or more likely, read online while winding (maybe i can see about moving it to the right side? but thats where the lamp is, so have to find a place for the lamp and OH DARN...I need a bigger desk! Come to think if it, the winder would be more convenient on the right side...hmmmm

now to see if i can get it loose of if it needs the manly touch?

Archived