Yarn Help

CrochetMommy223

Question

I am planning on making my 4 year old daughter a granny square afghan to replace her beloved ( but ratty) security blanket. I want it to be bright and very colorful, not too heavy, very soft and washable. I usually use acrylic yarn but I'm concerned that a worsted weight acrylic will be too heavy and hot. I bought a granny square book with a bunch of different patterns. The author used the most beautiful colors. Upon researching her yarn, I found that she uses wool. It's beautiful and has tons of pretty colors but just isn't washable and that's not an option for a 4 year old. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good lightweight, durable, SOFT, washable yarn that has lots of pretty bright colors?

11 answers to this question

If you want a lighter afghan, you can use baby yarn or sport weight yarn (usually a number 3). Your squares would be a tad smaller since the yarn is a lighter weight so if that isn't an issue, that may be the best.

What I would suggest is to go online for whatever brand you find (like Red Heart, Bernat, Caron, etc) and see what colors are available. A lot of times baby yarn comes in the softer, pastel colors but I think they are tending towards brighter colors. I tend to use bright primary when I do childrens blankets but then I use worsted weight, it is a matter of personal preference.

Hope this helps and maybe someone else has more ideas.

Roe

If you could use a DK (#3) weight, I love Stylecraft from Deramore's in the UK. I've played around with it, but haven't started my real project yet - I was using a G hook. It's acrylic, soft, with beautiful colors, and a good price. The shipping from the UK is only $6.35, or free over $50. I've received my orders in about a week - faster than from Joann.com. It comes in 100 g skeins - a fair amount of yarn in the lighter weight. What I have is the Special DK, the one at the top of the page - or the color bundles next to it.

http://us.deramores.com/stylecraft-knitting-yarn?p=2

I also have some of the James C. Brett DK weight from them. It seems a very little bit thicker, but they are close enough that I may mix them when I get to my afghan.

http://us.deramores.com/james-c-brett-top-value-dk

Of course, Deramore's has tons of other choices, but these are the two I have sampled. Oh, I also bought a couple of skeins of the comparable King Cole, but it seems considerably finer. I had to stay with inexpensive yarn because I do afghans and the yarn money needs to stretch. 

Another thought - Lion Brand Pound of Love has some brighter shades now, though there aren't many. It is on the light side of worsted, is soft and I think has a nice feel to it. 

I second ddc's suggestion of Stylecraft DK.  I got some recently from a destash here, and then i ordered a few more colors.  Deramore's shipping is really reasonable and fast.  if you are unsure about colors, order the Lucy pack, the preselected colors are great.  http://www.deramores.com/stylecraft-special-dk-colour-pack

or Medium color pack http://www.deramores.com/stylecraft-special-dk-medium-colour-pack

here is my stylecraft post-10356-0-52189000-1404083208_thumb.jpg

another yarn i'd recommend is Berroco Comfort http://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-comfort

it has a big color range and the worsted wt is not heavy, tho it does come in a dk wt also.  I made an afghan with it which has held up well (though only used by adults) .  

Which granny square book are you using?

...and welcome to the ville :hook

Stylecraft is my favorite yarn as well.  I love the yarn and they have tons of colors to choose from.  Deramores shipping is reasonable and they often have sales. :)

I'd stick with Red Heart Super Saver.  The colors are awesome and it wears like iron.  It also softens up nicely in the dryer with a couple of dryer sheets.

A granny square has enough holes in it to not be terribly hot or uncomfortable.  I'd probably go with a J hook just to loosen it up a bit.

Thanks for all of the responses. I just finally was able to get back on here but I've been reading the responses via email. I spent some time today on Deramores looking at the Stylecraft Special DK yarn after reading that it's what Lucy from Attic24 uses. I really love her work and she seems to love that yarn. It's got a ton of colors to choose from. I just hope it's super soft. Redheart Super Saver is definitely not an option. It's scratchy and even though people claim that it washes up softer, it's too rough to work with. I want something as soft as I Love This Yarn by Hobby Lobby. I am going to place an order for the Stylecraft and cross my fingers that it's soft. I am getting the Lucy pack plus several other colors and some white to put it all together. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. 

Stylecraft is soft, but not super soft like Caron Simply Soft, or Red Heart Soft.  I believe after a first wash with the stylecraft will make it super soft tho.  I'm still working on my first afghan with it.  I love it.

I think Stylecraft dk is as soft as Simply soft, but it is pretty different.  Simply soft is very limp and slinky/shiny, but Stylecraft is more cushiony and plump, more of a wool -like feel.  Haven't washed Stylecraft yet either.  

Archived