rippling/edge widening

reiann

Question

Right now I'm using half double crochet and my edge on one side seems to be widening a little bit with each row. Also I cannot get what's completed to lay flat, it kind of ripples. Will this change the more I work on it ? I've been told adding a border when done will help w the uneven edges too. Advice appreciated this is my first big project (Afghan) and I'm still a newbie but always jump in head first! ,

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

It might be something very simple. Frustrating, but simple.

Choose a row that is still even up and down the sides and count the stitches across. On the last completed row, count the stitches across that row. It sounds to me like you are adding too many stitches, so, the afghan rows are growing wider. If this is the case, the only thing you can do is "frog it"  (rip it out) to the point where it is still straight on the edges. It's very important to keep track of your stitch count throught the project and to be sure you are starting and ending each row in the correct stitches. Hope this helps.

Are you counting the turning chain as a stitch? If so, you do not work into that first stitch, but you do work a stitch as the last stitch of the row into the turning chain of the row before.

If you don't work the last stitch into the turning chain you will get a parallelogram, even leaning out ot one side.

I do believe I was counting the turning chain as a stitch. Watching the back to  basics youtube videos is really helpful. Can't wait for my new yarn to arrive so I can continue (the right way!). 

Archived