yarn that makes design/picture as you work?

cshellz58

Question

Hi all....was recently at a Knit & crochet gathering and a lady was making baby hats to donate.  She was knitting ( I crochet) and as she worked with what looked like hombre yarn it made a simple pattern of recognizable flowers in the hat...very cool.  She said it was yarn made to do that ( make a design) --not a special  hat pattern or changing yarns....I was not able to ask her what the name was or whose (redheart or lion or?).  Does anyone know what this is called?  Heading to town and craft store soon and want to add some to the hats Im doing to donate too.  Thanks for your information!  :)

4 answers to this question

Lots of brands make such yarns, it's called jacquard. There might be another name for it too, as there are often multiple names for things but this is what I know it by.

Edited to add I don't know if they will work up quite the same way with crochet pieces as with knit. I knit as well as crochet but have never used jacquards for crochet projects only knit. It's also like any striping/variegated yarn - the pattern is going to work up differently depending on how many stitches you're using, gauge etc. 

Here's just one available, from Bernat: http://www.yarnspirations.com/yarns/baby-jacquards

The flowers in the baby jacquards are cool, I'd only seen this sort of thing in sock yarn where it knits up as a solid stripe, then a zig zag stripe or similar.  You would probably have to find a pattern in straight slip stitch for it to work in crochet , though.

are you on Ravelry?  I looked up the Bernat baby jacquards floral yarn, and you can see projects people have crocheted here http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/bernat-baby-jacquards-florals/projects?search=&crafts%5B%5D=crochet

Some of them turned out surprisingly well, like the chain stitch hexagon jacket.  

Archived