Wonky giant granny square blanket

Calstugre

Question

Hi. I'm a total crochet beginner so please forgive me if this is a silly question! My first crochet project, learning from You Tube and my blanket is going wonky! What am I doing wrong? My tension is the same I think and I'm using dk wool and 4mm hook. I'll try and attach a photo... Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

16 answers to this question

Thank you for your help. I'm especially liking the idea of my wonky blanket being that way on purpose. If I'd tried to do it like this I'll bet it wouldn't have worked! I'll keep going and let you see a pic when it's finished. Wonder how it'll end up!

Thank you Avon lady. I hope it doesn't turn out too well cause I could never do it again unless I've got a wonky technique or something lol! I'm thinking the only thing it could be is that the scraps I'm using are of a different thickness of yarn.

I'm beginning to think the yarn may be the culprit, also!  One of my "Girls" (I teach a crochet class in a local Senior Center!! :lol ) made an afghan out of scrap yarn and it was all irregular like that because of the yarn sizes and types!!

I was going to suggest counting the stitches, too. The dark groups look like one side has one less cluster than the others.

I still have to count my stitches when making grannies!

And I agree with the others....it's a creative way of making grannies less boring! ;)

Thank you Avon lady. I hope it doesn't turn out too well cause I could never do it again unless I've got a wonky technique or something lol! I'm thinking the only thing it could be is that the scraps I'm using are of a different thickness of yarn.

Well, I think you should just go ahead like you said and finish it, whichever ways it's going!  You'll have a very unique blanket!

I agree with magiccrochetfan - but you know what?  There is actually a granny pattern out there that is sort of like what your granny looks like now - it's all off kilter and it's supposed to look that way.  

.......so don't look at it like you've done something wrong - look at it like you've created a new one of a kind pattern!

Turning it between rows will help, yes. Also you might try a bigger hook to create looser stitches. If the yarns are different that could be part of the problem.

You won't be able to straighten this out now. You will need to start over if you want a blanket that will lay flat and be square. Other than the skewing, it looks good though!

Hi and thank you for your reply.

The pattern is 3 dch then ch1 repeated until the corners which are 3 dch ch3 3 dch. I haven't been turning it each time do you think that's what's wrong?

I'm using a 4mm hook with scraps of acrylic double knitting. Some of the wool feels harder than the rest could that be it?

Cal

Welcome to the ville :hook

What pattern are you using? Tell us the name of the pattern and where it is located.

What yarn(s) and hook are you using?

Crochet stitches naturally lean a bit, which can cause some skewing. The solution is to turn the piece between rounds so you arent always working in the same direction. But this looks like there is more going on, that you maybe need more chains at the corners or your tension is changing.

Archived