Oubli

Blocking large items

Question

I am helping my teenage sister in law yarn bomb her wheel chair for her upcoming surgery, since she is a beginner at crochet and I am experienced so I told her I would d all of the large intricate pieces.

In light of this I made a large granny square for covering the back rest but it is off kilter now since I make a 4 yarn spiral and do not want to redo since it is a very complicated square.

So at this point I need help blocking such a large square. How do I go about blocking a 20in granny square, I tried steaming and stretching it but since I have no where to pin it (it's so darn big!!!), it reverted to it'd previously wonky shape. I need another method, help, pointers, an off the wall idea etc

Suggestions anyone?

Ps - Sorry if the photo is too big/small, working with a new tablet and don't know it's quirks yet.

post-70971-0-37906400-1393956385_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

I would dampen a towel, lay it over the piece, and then turn it into a big roll

Try pining it to your bed. Pin it out in the morning and put a fan on it for speedy drying. That way your

Piece (and your bed) should be dry by night time.

Can you get a big pizza box or a tv box?  I love blocking on cardboard.  I put plastic wrap over it so it doesn't get soggy.  It holds the pins really well. 

Another great idea that's throwaway and can be made into almost any size!

Thanks guys for so many off the wall ideas!!!