Help! How is this stitch done?

dea4

Question

My sister has this sweater that has crochet edging on the sleeves, part of it came undone and she asked if I could repair it. The problem is this shell looking stitch is not the typical shell, anyone know how this stitch is done? The first pic is what it is to look like when completely finished, the second is the base of the shell and that is what I am having trouble with. If I do the typical shell stich, it doesn't look like that. Any help would be appreciated.

post-70916-0-03101900-1393355802_thumb.jpg

post-70916-0-06892300-1393355833_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

I can't tell for sure - but - it looks to me like there are two rows of stitches on top of the shell.  I would guess perhaps a row of hdc - ch 1 and then a row of picot stitches on top of that.  That's just a guess, though - maybe if you look at it with that possibility in mind you'll be able to tell for sure what stitches are there.  Good luck!!  I'm sure your sister will appreciate it greatly if you are able to repair her sweater... 

I can't tell for sure - but - it looks to me like there are two rows of stitches on top of the shell.  I would guess perhaps a row of hdc - ch 1 and then a row of picot stitches on top of that.  That's just a guess, though - maybe if you look at it with that possibility in mind you'll be able to tell for sure what stitches are there.  Good luck!!  I'm sure your sister will appreciate it greatly if you are able to repair her sweater... 

This is my guess as well. 

My guess is it's one of those trims you do vertically rather than horizontally. Like, make a long chain with occasional dc's in it to make the mesh, and then on one of the switchbacks you make an arc of dc's, turn back and do some picots, before continuing on with the ch & dc mesh. If that made any level of sense...

Thanks, I'll look that up. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it tomorrow, I am also making 6 bridesmaid dresses, so I was trying to figure this out inbetween when I had time so I can get it fixed for her. You have all been very helpful and I appreciate the help.

Archived