Hat questions

airmedh

Question

I'm making my first hat and have what may be a silly question, but here it is....

I'm using this pattern. After RND 1 I have a small hole there from making the circle. Is this normal? I'm not much on rounds and never seem to get them right.

5 answers to this question

It is normal to have a small hole when working in the round if you are beginning with a chained ring. But you don't have to accept that. Try the "magic ring" to begin your crochet in the round. You can adjust the size of the hole, or have virtually no hole at all. Here is a link to a short tutorial:

http://www.crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html

That's normal so what I do is I leave a long enough tail so that when I do the dc into the ring I stitch over the tail when the first round is done I pull on the tail that has been caught under the first round and it tightens up the hole. Or you could thread the tail into a needle and run it around under the first round and then pull tight, you have to tie in the tail so it stays tight and the hole doesn't open again but it works either way!!

I hope I didn't ramble too much and you understood what I said :think :think

I agree with trying the "magic ring" method. Since I found out about it I've never started a project worked in the round with a chain! It's so much easier I think! :)

I don't do the magic ring method, although it is a foolproof way to get a circle-less hole, it takes me too much time to get right. :blush However, I've noticed that chaining two and working however many stitches into the first chain leaves a much less noticeable hole than chaining four and joining.

Archived