need help with 12ch-1 sps

Deana Hoover

Question

Hi everyone! I am new to crochet I am in over my head on this pattern.

I have never done a space before in a pattern. I have read the info on the forums here and nexztitch, but just can't get it

Here is the pattern

12 ch-1sps

Then

SL st into next CH 1 sp

I can't figure this out, where do I put my next stitch?

Thanks in advance

Deana

8 answers to this question

Can you link to the pattern?  I'm willing to be that "12 ch-1 sps" is actually a summary of what you have after the last round. Unravel that ch-12 you just made and see where the round ended--it must be joined at a stitch. You don't need that ch-12 you just made, so unravel back to where you finished the round. Check to see whether you have twelve spaces in it. Slip stitch across the tops of the last round's stitches until you get to where you chained 1 on the last row, then do what the pattern says.

For instance, if you had 12 dc on your first row, then you went around (dc, ch 1) for the second, you'd have 12 chain-1 spaces. You might be told to join the round, then slip stitch across the dc until you get to the space, then work, say, (dc, ch1, dc) into each space. You can work into the chain stitch or you can work all the way around it, depending on how you want it to look.

Thank you so much for responding Becky. I think you right I think this is what I am supposed to have after completing my round.

Here is the link to the pattern

www.yarnspirations.com/pattern/crochet/afghan

For round 3 I am not sure how to do this

there is another sp in it.   Can you please help me with that?

I really appreciate it

Deana

welcome to the ville :hook

a ch-1 sp (chain one space) is simply one chain stitch made in between two other stitches.

Yarnspirations seems to be down right now, but I am not sure that what you typed is going to link to a specific pattern, so we may need the name of the pattern to find it on the site.

in the meantime, this short tutorial on reading patterns may help http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Round 2 is where you were above so it needs to be a dc and ch 1, dc ch 1...that ch 1 is your space for the directions in round 3

"3rd rnd: Sl st in next ch-1 sp. Ch 3. 2 dc in same sp. *3 dc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * around. Join. 36 dc."

You ended round 2 with a slip stitch into the top of the 3rd ch at the beginning of round 2.  The link Kathy/magiccrochetfan gave you should describe what a slip stitch is.  You want to be starting in the ch space.  You will basically putting 3 dc in each ch1 space from round 2.  With 12 spaces and 3 in each..36dc at the end of the round

Just to emphasize what was said above, the last sentence in the first 4 rounds is not an instruction to do something else, but is a summary of what you've already done.  This is helpful to make sure you've counted right.  While all stitch count accuracy is important, it's especially so at the foundation of your blanket -- it will make a big difference quickly if this count is not correct.

The rest of the rounds don't have this summary.  Have fun!

Archived