Newborn baby cocoon

Janknit

Question

Hi, trying to understand this pattern, can anyone help?

cocoon.jpg6 oz soft worsted weight yarn  (I like Simply Soft for these)
H crochet hook

Ch 5, join with sl st to form ring, ch 2.
Rnd 1: make 11 HDC in ring, sl st in top of first hdc, ch 2.

Rnd 2: 1 hdc in base of ch 2 stitch, 2 hdc in each st around, sl st in top of first hdc, ch 2.(22 sts)

Rnd 3: 1 hdc in base of ch 2 stitch, (hdc in next hdc, 2 hdc in next) repeat around, sl st to first hdc, ch 2. (33 sts.)

Rnd 4: 1 hdc in base of ch 2 stitch, (hdc in next 2 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc) repeat around to the last stitch, sl st to first hdc, ch 2. (43 sts.)

Rnd 5: 1 hdc in base of ch 2 stitch, (hdc in next 3 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc) repeat around to the last stitch, sl st to first hdc, ch 2. (54 sts). My stitch count is not working out?  Do I join at the Ch2 or the first hdc?  I am presuming the Ch2 does count as a stitch?  When this is said in a pattern does that mean you work into it or not?  I have always wondered this.  So grateful for anyone's help!

4 answers to this question

What is your stitch count? It is confusing as some rows with even number of stitches it seems you would count the ch 2 but with uneven number you wouldn't.' It's hard to say what this one wants. Did it say anything in the pattern?

When you count the ch you would join in the top of the ch.

It's really confusing some rows you increase by ten and some eleven!  I have only included the first five rows of the pattern.

It is a free pattern on Bev's Country cottage on Ravelry. Someone did suggest that some rows I should go into the Ch2 and others the first Hdc. 

I'd just increase each round by 11 until I got to 66 stitches (instead of 68) ~ then follow the pattern with 66 stitches per round.  I doubt you'll notice much of a difference with only 2 stitches per round missing.  Or, if you really want the 68 stitches per round, I would probably add an extra stitch in the 22nd and 55th stitches on round 7... that would increase the stitch count to 68, and then I'd just go from there.  I do that kind of thing a lot, though - make it work for you!  :)

It's probably a better idea to link to the pattern than spell it out entirely here (which is against the rules of this forum - a line or two that you're stuck on is ok, but not the whole pattern). http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-peapod-cr-cozy.html

I agree I think round 2 should have 2 hdc in each stitch,

round 3 should have *1 hdc in next 1 stitch, 2 hdc in following st, repeat

each subsequent round should increase that red number by 1 - this is the basic recipe for making a flat circle.  The 'recipe' calls for some number of initial stitches (depends if sc, hdc, dc) then each round increases by that number of stitches.  In this example, each round should increas by 11 stitches.

Have you ever made a hat? This is just a really really long hat.

Archived