Hairpin lace help needed!

SuperMom

Question

I am new to hairpin lace and recently completed a shawl.  I was looking on Etsy and found another shawl I'd love to try to make.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/89433853/hairpin-lace-shawl-winters-suns?ref=af_you_favitem

Can anyone direct me on how to make the flower looking center?  I can wing my way through the 'square' part, but I'm not sure how to connect them in the middle to make a flower design.

**Caveat**  I did contact the seller to see if this was a pattern I could obtain/purchase, and this was her response...

Hello Samantha,
Thank you for your interest to my work. I am glad that my shawl so liked you. I could write you how to make the circles, but you say you're new to knitting with hairpin. I have no ready pattern by which you can to knit. I though want to sell the shawl, not the pattern.

If I can help you with anything yet, please write me once again.
Blessings!
Svetlana

4 answers to this question

Is the seller aware that hairpin lace is also crocheted?  Check here on the Ville for patterns, and also on crochetpatterncentral.  Maybe it will be on one or the other.

I would look around on the Stitch Diva website.  there is the pattern Klimt http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/hairpin-lace/klimt which is made of circles, so you should be able to get construction ideas from that.  Also I really haven't looked at  the tutorials, there may be ideas there that you can use for circles.  

Based on the seller's name, I'm guessing her native language is Russian.  Knit and crochet are the same word in Russian, as I understand it's said 'x with hook' or 'x with needles'.

I wonder if those flowers could be made with a daisy loom thing.  You can make one yourself with a piece of flexible cardboard with notches cut into the sides.

edit, I'm not finding a square loom, but it looks just like the round one at this site (the one that looks like a giant gear), except the notches are cut around a square.  I still have a round and square one I cut out of a magazine eons ago.

http://cultofcrochet.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/fun-and-free-flower-loom/

Thanks guys.  I think I might just have to experiment with the hairpin to try to get the circle in the middle.

On another note,  I've never seen a flower loom before - and I had always wondered how those were made.  I have an old old old flower afghan that my mother in law made before she passed away, and I never knew how it was made!

I actually have the knifty knitter loom (set of 4), and the smallest one is probably the perfect size to make flowers.  I bet I could figure out how to attach them to make a shawl also.

(I make shawls to donate to our churchs prayer shawl ministry, so I'm always looking for ways to turn things into shawls! )

Archived