different yarns

amymichelle

Question

13 answers to this question

That may have been one factor, especially if you used regular weight, and bulky,  and sport weight.  However, if you used the same weight yarn and crocheted it row by row, you may have added (or left out) some stitches on each end.  What pattern are you using?

i had made just a big granny square afghan. some of the yarns were really thin and some weren't super thick but thicker than the thinnest. i dunno cause most of the yarn was ones i got from goodwill or that people gave me. i'm trying to think of what to do when i make a chevron stripe afghan. i have some turqoise yarn i got from goodwill and then i got some red heart to supplement just in case. but i know for certain they aren't the same thickness. its not that far off but i dunno.

Even if they were all worsted weight yarn class, 'worsted weight' (or any weight, really) is a range of yarn thickness, so it might account for ruffling wonkiness.

But, if you mean the squares are crooked, it could also be a factor of working a huge item in the round.  There are other threads here on the subject, but here is one from a few years ago that shows a skewed giant granny & how to fix it

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/107433-lopsided-center-of-granny-square-afghan/

another one

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/111556-need-opinions-on-grannyghan/

here is a picture of the finished one. it was all the ame size at the end. but it looks like the edges come out more. this is happening again with another one i'm doing. with two strands of yarn but this one is all the same brand/thickness. i'm thinking i need to go to a bigger hook but i'm not sure.

post-68280-0-47462300-1388609736_thumb.jpg

not sure if I understand what your concern is----your afghan looks great to me!  

It does look like the edge is ruffling just a bit...is that what you mean?  Sometimes when I am working on a big granny square, I have to make a few adjustments as I go along.  the increases can be subtly too great or too small i think.  So in this case, if you do feel it has gotten too big at the very outer rows, you could rip back and make adjustments to tighten that part up just a bit.  You could use a slightly smaller hook for that final part, because your tension may have loosened up.  You could take out a few stitches in each round, like if you have been doing 1 chain in between the groups of dc, leave out every 10th chain or so.  

But again, to me it doesn't look like there really is a problem or anything that needs correcting.  

There's also different schools of thought on the 'right' stitch combination to use for grannies.  It may depend on one's tension, or tendency to make taller or shorter stitches.  Some put a chain between the groups of 3 dc, and 3 chains in the corner; some put no chain between each group and 2 chains in the corner.

It looks like your piece is ruffling (but just a little).  Think of a circle, since you are working in the round.  Ruffling happens when your circumference is too big in proportion to the radius.  This can be fixed by either making taller stitches (increasing the radius), or by removing stitches (decreasing the circumference).  You could try making the last few rounds in trebles, not doubles, or making every so-many stitch groupings 2 not 3 stitches; or if you put a chain between the side groups of 3, omit the chains (or every so many chains) .  If it's really wavy, a fix at the end might not help (you'd end up with a puckered middle), but yours doesn't look too far off.

the problem i see is it looks like its protruding out frather on all of the corners and it doesn't look straight to me. that is happening on the new one i'm doing too. i dunno if i should just get a bigger hook or what. i didn't think about doing treble crochet stitches though. that might be a good option. i just almost feel like giving up on the whole granny afghan though. all i had done with that pictured one was no spaces between  the stitches and a chain one in the corner. right now i'm doing the same thing.

I know this is adding a stitch (but, only 4 each round), but I wonder if making ch-2 in the corner would help to straighten out the corner.  It seems like cramming 6 stitches into 1 is a lot...I'm one of those ch-3 corner people :lol  Just guessing though, the problem things like this don't necessarily show up when you make a little square to swatch it.

ah well i've regrouped and now am doing a different afghan than a big granny square with my new blanket. now gonna do a granny stripe. then i don't have to deal with all of that corner mess. it just frustrates me to no end. thanks for trying to help!

I really think this is just the nature of a big granny pattern.  You are constantly stacking increases over increases so the corners expand a little more quickly than the straight sides.  If your tension also changes a bit as you go along, or a new color of yarn is a bit bigger than the previous colors (which can happen even within a specific brand), things may ruffle a bit.  Some kinds of yarn are rather limp and don't have much spring, so they may tend to spread a little more.  

But again, to me yours looks just fine and i think you can be proud of it.  

Archived