Please help, having trouble with "gauge"

becky72

Question

I'm not a new crocheter but I am new to patterns.  I've been making blankets, rugs and scarves for years but gauge isn't always an important factor.  

I tried my first pattern the other day, a dog sweater.  Seemed easy enough.  I measured my swatch and it was pretty much right on with the instructions.  Needless to say by the time I was done, the sweater for my cocker spaniel will now fit a great dane.  

I have noticed that even some of my blankets end up wider at one end but I donate them to our local nursing homes and animal shelter so they don't need to be perfect and they're always accepted with kind hearts.

I'm preparing for knee surgery and I would like to start another sweater, this time for me, while I'm recovering. 

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for checking gauge.

Thanks bunches!!!! :flake

4 answers to this question

Make your swatch bigger than the area you will measure.  often gauge is given for 4" x 4" so you want to crochet about 6" x 6", then measure the central 4 inch square and count stitches there.  Record the size hook you used for the swatch.  (then don't be like me and ignore your own notes and thereby screw up your first go at the garment! lol)  

Wash and dry the swatch in the same way you will the finished item.  Measure after this.  this is called blocking.  

As you crochet the final piece, keep checking your gauge, if the exact measurements are really crucial.  For garments, i like to try them on as i go; if it fits it doesn't really matter what the gauge is.  a top-down, one piece design is helpful for this.  if using a pattern that is made in pieces, i would lay the piece against a well-fitting garment that is similar, to check if it will fit right.  If your swatch changed a lot after blocking, you can block the garment as you go to be sure it is correct gauge.

If your blankets are wider at the end, either you are adding stitches or your gauge is loosening up as you work.  Or some stitch patterns tend to flare at the bottom, like shell stitches.  There was a post about this recently.  

I make doll's clothes and I find checking the clothes on the doll as I'm working is crucial.  It keeps me in check.  It also accounts for any differences in your style vs. that of the pattern writer as you work.  I would think the same applies to working on clothing items for humans and dogs.  As you check the garment while working on it it is much easier to see where the pattern fits and where it doesn't.  Sometimes it is my error and other times after confirming I am working to guage I do realize I need to make adjustments to make the pattern work.

Thank you for your help.  I am very grateful for this forum, it's so nice to know there are people out there that will help even with the little things.

Archived