afghan is getting smaller, sigh

lilkimxo

Question

I am getting so discouraged.. lol I wish I had someone I could go to, to show and ask kinda thing. Of the few questions I've put out here though you've been very helpful, so a big thank you there. Now, after 26 rows of this 72 called for rows I am sad to say I'm thinking I need to start over yet AGAIN..lol big UGH but I will not stop until I am done... dang it. lol 

So the pattern said to ch 168, because it is a ripple afghan I didn't fret when I noted that as I went the rows seemed to shrink, pull and stretch as I go believing that maybe with the weight growing it'd eventually 'look right'.. nope last night I jumped up to like row 15 and unless I am not counting the st correctly there are only 58.. how'd I go from 168 to 58?? eek. lol  Maybe I am not doing the stitches correctly so I think I should start there? idk  Am just so bummed lol

when I am on the 168th chain I count backwards to the forth and do a dc, which is where you yo, put the hook into the 4th ch, yo, pull thru two, yo and pull thru two again, correct?

as I get confirmation I'll move onto the next questionable area.. lol  thanks to whomever walks this out with me ;o)

12 answers to this question

What pattern are you using? Some ripples can be really confusing to work and i would not recommend using those patterns before you are pretty experienced.

One general piece of advice is to count the stitches at end of each row so you catch mistakes quickly and can correct them without ripping out many rows.

Maybe give this a try http://www.handcraftingwithlove.net/yarn/pat-ripple.html

Many people have successfully made this one.

At the end of each row, stop and count your stitches. I recommend practicing on a smaller size first to get the hang of it. Either the smaallest size listed there, or use the info on the multiple to figure the sts for a sample piece.

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Also read this if you havent already.

Ripples are notorious counting headaches, you really have to pay attention to where your increase and decrease spots are.  Count, and make sure your increase and decrease spots line up.  'Stand back' and look at it often to make sure things are in line.  Use markers at the center of every peak if you have to (would make it easier to count, since the number will always be the same for a rectangular ripple).

No, you need to make the swatch bigger than four inches, then measure the central four inches. But you also have to do the swatch in the stitch pattern. I would chain about sixteen to eighteen, then work the pattern across to the last few sts, do what it says for the last sts, and ignore any unused chains.

But really for an afghan it is not crucial to get gauge, because it doesnt have to be a certain size.

When I made this ripple blanket for my son, the edges are what got me. The interior flowed together beautifully without a fuss, but those edges... One side was always two stitches short, the other always two stitches long. I had to restart twice, and even in the final go, one edge came out perfect, the other I had to stitch two together until the bitter end. So my advice is to scrutinize over those edges!

When I made this ripple blanket for my son, the edges are what got me. The interior flowed together beautifully without a fuss, but those edges... One side was always two stitches short, the other always two stitches long. I had to restart twice, and even in the final go, one edge came out perfect, the other I had to stitch two together until the bitter end. So my advice is to scrutinize over those edges!

what is that ripple pattern called if you don't mind me asking? I love it!!

It's called the "sea stitch" from the Crochet Stitch Bible in the Openwork and Lace Stitches chapter. I changed colors every two rows. For a baby blanket, I did 10 repeats of the stitch, so about 120 stitches wide and it was 54 rows (27 stripes) long. If you try it, I hope those blasted edges go much smoother for you than they did for me. I still don't know what went wrong!

Archived