Help adding sleeves to Solomon's Knot pattern

crochetaddicted

Question

Good afternoon.

I am currently working on this pattern:

http://www.crochetgeek.com/2008/07/blog-post_22.html

My thought was to add long sleeves but I have finished the yolk portion and  am not sure I can do this.  Mentally I just pictured going round and round with double crochets until I liked the length but I am not sure this is doable.

I know that those more experienced can look and let me know.  

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I don't know why you couldn't do that; I've made many top down garments that did just that (start with yoke, divide for sleeve, work the body, go back and finish sleeves).

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the armhole/sleeve proportion. 

For adults, a garment with sleeves has a bigger armhole opening (so you don't rip the sleeves off when you reach for something).  Sleeves also often taper toward the wrists.  Sleeveless things have a smaller arm opening to cover you up a little better.

Dressing little tykes is challenging enough without having the sleeves too tight.  This pattern looks like it has a good allowance, but I would measure another sweater-type garment for the length and girth of the sleeve for that size.  You may have to add or subtract a couple of stitches.  I'm not sure I'd taper it at the wrists.

. You could look at some on Ravelry if you  join that show sleeves. Here's one that does it. It's a little differently done but might give an idea.

link

Archived