working with photographers...

So..I made a huge rookie mistake! I am currently getting ready to open up an etsy store because I've had some great success selling from my fb page and need something more professional. I recently had a photographer contact me about ordering quite a few items and, for a discounted price, she would take professional pictures both of my pieces alone and on models with the proper releases to use these images in my store. It sounded like a fantastic arrangement, but in my overexcitement and nativity, I agreed to a 50% discount. She ordered $260 worth of items for$130 and I had to ship. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask for shipping costs in our agreement so I was left with the bill. :'( I really put my heart amd soul in to these pieces as I thought they'd ve representing my work to enable more business and profit for me. I even made up my own patterns when I couldn't find anything like what sje requested and included extras like bows and flowers she could clip on to have versatility with the outfits. I finally received my first batch of pictures and, much to my dismay and horror, she used hats made for much smaller babies (sizes she ordered) which make the items look ridiculous! I'm also just not thrilled with the quality of the pictures or the model(how do u say that without being offensive?) And any attempt at asking for the pictures of the itens alone is met with attitude about how she doesn't have time right now and I'll hafta wait! I have a beautiful 4 month ild baby and a cheap camera but I could've done better myself! I'm writing this in hopes someone can learn from my mistakes but also to ask uf anyone else has made these type of arrangements before? What were the details of the arrangements (discount?, etc) and how should I handle being displeased with the pics? Do I say something or chalk it up to learning and do better in the future? Thanks for taking the time to let me rant! ;)

If you have paperwork stating what was expected of each of you, and she's not holding up her end (not providing pictures of the items alone rather than on the model) technically it's a breech of contract and you could sue her. It's hardly worth it, though. I'd chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. 

It sounds like she really just wanted some cheap items for personal use. Is she indeed a professional (or at least an enthusiastic hobbyist) with a web site featuring her work? In the future, ask to see their site/examples of their work so you can get a feel for their style and determine whether you think they can capture your products in a way you'll be pleased with or not.

Speaking as a photographer I have to say that doesn't sound like an agreement I'd ever initiate. If both parties agree to barter goods for services, that's the only way I'd take free product and photograph it for the seller. I get free stuff, they get free photos. Product photography hardly ever involves the photographer buying said products - I've never known it to happen actually, though that doesn't mean it doesn't happen from time to time. When I do product photography for someone, it goes like this: If I am close enough, I will travel (or the client will come to me) and do an in-person shoot. Otherwise, the products are shipped to me. Either way, once the client is happy with the photos, they leave with their products/I ship the products back to them, and I get paid for my services. If there were ever a situation where I wanted to buy an item I was photographing, I'd expect to buy it at retail like any other customer of the client would. It's all up to you of course, and what you are ok with setting up. If you and the photographer don't mind giving each other a bit of a break on pricing, because you're both getting something out of it, then do it but be careful you're not being taken advantage of. Always get the arrangements in writing though, and have both parties as well as at least one witness sign the paperwork. You never know when you might need the proof of what the arrangements were. 

If you are not abject to the idea, you could easily do the photography yourself. You don't need an expensive camera - as long as you have a camera that you're able to get clear images with true to life colors and close-up shots (a macro feature, indicated most often by a small flower symbol) you will be fine. You'll need a few other things (in my opinion) like a light box and some full spectrum lamps for lighting, both of which are things that will help you get clear, true to life colors in the product pictures, but it would not be too difficult. 

Do you have this contract in writing?

Whether she has time or not is irrelevant.  It was part of the arrangement.  The best advice I can give is to behave professionally in this.  I know it sux to feel like you're getting screwed over but once you allow emotion into the interaction it's very easy for it to spin into ugly territory.

It definitely would sound fishy, but I forgot to say that she was actually referred to me through a friend who thinks the photographers work.is awesome. She was just getting in to baby photography to expand her business and needed a variety of props. I do have all the emails (thankfully) and I do think she will eventually hold up her end of the deal. BUT, what do you do when you just aren't happy with the photos? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I doubt I'll ever use the modeled pics. For example, shw ordered a 0-3 months size hat and has it on a 9mth old baby!!! So, it looks silly! I will probably just hafta use the pictures of the items alone (when I get them) and that isn't exactly what I was going for. It's just a crappy situation all the way around. I think, in the future, I'll either take my own photos or provide the models myself and pay for the pictures. Thanks again for letting me rant and for all the input. :)

You are perfectly entitled to let her know you are not happy with the photos you have received so far. Be specific about what you are not happy with - like you have been in this post. Be kind about it, but also be firm. If she's truly professional, she'll understand, be willing to work with you, and ultimately do all she can to make sure you're happy.

I know it's not easy to hear a client say they aren't happy with your work thus far (it stings, it really does, I speak from experience lol) however, when it comes down to it, I'd really much rather have a client tell me they aren't happy and what they'd like me to change than to accept images that they don't really like and let me go on believing I did a good job for them. I've learned that "I'm not happy with this shot. Do you think you could possibly [whatever the client would like done differently]?" is a good thing. It's constructive criticism of my work that I can use to learn, grow, and get some experience so I can do better in the future. Happy clients are ones who will return and provide future business. It's always my goal to have happy clients. All clients are word-of-mouth advertisers - if they're not happy, whoever they tell about the experience working with me is going to hear about it and they won't want to come to me when they need photos either. If I do a good job and make the clients happy, I'm more likely to get referrals from them. It's in my best interest that my clients be honest with me, so I can make sure they're happy with the photos.

I've also been on the flip side where I've had to tell someone doing work for me that I didn't like it for whatever reason, so I know it's hard to do. Especially when it's involving friends in some way - even indirectly such as your situation. It can make you feel obligated to just accept what you're given even if you don't like it, because you don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. At the end of the day though, it's a business deal. In business, there's no leeway for potentially hurt feelings. 

For example, shw ordered a 0-3 months size hat and has it on a 9mth old baby!!! So, it looks silly! I will probably just hafta use the pictures of the items alone (when I get them) and that isn't exactly what I was going for.

I'd go with honesty.  You don't have to be mean or nasty to be honest.  If it looks stupid then no one is going to want their childs picture with it.  Did you label the sizes of the items you crocheted?  If she doesn't have kids of her own she may not even realize what she's doing.

Archived