converting question

Cinlee

Question

:think QUESTION PLEASE :think

Hi there everyone, if a pattern asks for a specific type of material....example, "Red heart 3 ply" hook size G.....but i want to use another type of material,. Perhaps, change over to "Homespun" , or "wool" or whatever type of different material.....what does a person do to get the simular size that the pattern is asking for ??

I wasn't sure since i want to be changeing to a completly different yarn, when normally i would just change the hook size (then check the gauge), but thats if i just stay with the same yarn type..

Thank you for your time everyone!

Cynthia Lee

4 answers to this question

Always start out by checking the gauge. That's really the best method. Then, if you can't get a workable gauge, do like Monael said and use a different size in the instructions. Another thought is, if the pattern includes a schematic with the measurements, you can probably wing it from that.

Just keep in mind that size isn't very important with some things. Obviously, with something like a sweater it's hugely important. But if you're making a stuffed animal, IMO it hardly matters.

I usually convert patterns for my daughter. Her patterns always call for a yarn I just don't have. I make a swatch and note the amount of stitches and rows per inch, then I look at the pattern and what it calls for and modify it. I am working on a jacket for my 2 yo. The pattern called for worsted weight yarn and size G hook but I got some beautiful pink and purple homespun to use and I want the jacket to be very warm. If I were going to make my daughter's size I would have needed to ch 102, the next size up had to ch 110, and one up would chain 118. Well when I measured it out it looked like I would need about 80 stitches to be around 26" so I minused 8 in multiples (102-8-8-8)(because of the pattern and the multiples it needed) until I got to 78, which was the closest to 80 and I used that with my G hook. It is measuing out great so far and is nice and thick.

Converting with a heavier yarn and using the same needle size will make the outcome a lot bulkier. I don't know if that's your intention. Homespun is a very warm yarn. If you want it to be about the same weight as the yarn in the pattern, you will have to go up about 2 needle sizes and make a swatch and figure it out from that. Make sure you write out the change on your pattern and note the yarn and needle size you are using in case you put the project down and come back to it.

Denise

Denise....ThankYOU!! at first i still wasn't sure :( , then just read it over and was happier then ever!!!:c9 Sounds great and I really am going to try this out...i already printed your wording so i dont forget...lol! Thank you again!;)

I am very grateful to all who emailed me back and tried to help.

:hug

CinLee

Archived